Dean of Physiotherapy, Fremantle
Associate Professor Joanne Connaughton
Associate Professor Jo Connaughton is the Associate Dean Clinical Education at the School of Physiotherapy. Her clinical practice spans over 30 years and she has practiced in almost all aspects of physiotherapy including rural and remote in the north of WA. This extensive background has been pivotal in helping her to continue to develop and grow the clinical education programme as the School of Physiotherapy has grown.
Jo has two main areas of interest - clinical education and physiotherapy in mental health. Key areas of research in clinical education include use of reflective practice to assist with transition from student to graduate and simulation in the clinical placement context. The Clinical Education Team was awarded an OLT citation in 2012 for developing and scaffolding reflective practice skills in an online environment to promote independent work-ready graduates. Jo is currently the State Chair of the Australian Collaborative Education Network which is dedicated to excellence in work integrated learning.
In her research in physiotherapy and psychiatry Jo is hoping to demonstrate the important role physiotherapists working in this field provide for holistic patient care. Jo completed her Professional Doctorate on the prevalence and management of headaches experienced by people with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. Other research explores the attitudes of physiotherapists and physiotherapy students toward mental health and psychiatry. Jo was invited to assist with development the APA position st and tement on physiotherapy and mental health and has written articles for the APA 'In Motion' magazine on this topic.
Undergraduate - Clinical Education, Mental Health and Physiotherapy
Postgraduate - Clinical Supervision Training, Mental Health and Physiotherapy
Research Expertise and Supervision
Mental Health and Physiotherapy
Connaughton, J., Edgar, S. (2014) Assessing WIL in Ferns, S (ed.) Work Integrated Learning in the Curriculum HERDSA Guide, Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia Inc, Milperra NSW
Journal Articles and Proceedings
- Connaughton, J., Edgar, S. (2011). Framework for Reflective practice. Focus on Health Professional Education: a Multi-Disciplinary Journal, 12 (3), 89-93.
- Edgar, S., Connaughton, J., (2014) Exploring the Role and Skill set of Physiotherapy Clinical Educators in Work Integrated Learning, Asia-Pacific Journal for Cooperative Education 15(1) 29-36
- Edgar, S., Francis-Coad, J. & Connaughton, J. (2013) Undergraduate reflective journaling in work integrated learning: Is it relevant to professional practice? Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 14(3), 147-156
- Connaughton J; Patman S; Pardoe C, (2013) Are there associations among physical activity, fatigue, sleep quality and pain in people with mental illness? A pilot study. Journal Of Psychiatric And Mental Health Nursing 1365-2850
- Connaughton, J., Gibson, G. Attitudes of Physiotherapy student's toward psychiatry and mental health; A Cross sectional study. Physiotherapy Canada (In press)
- Vancampfort, D., Rosenbaum, S., Probst, M., Connaughton, J., du Plessis, C., Yamamoto, T., Stubbs, B. What are the top 10 physical activity research questions in schizophrenia? Disability and Rehabilitation (In Press)
- Vancampfort, D., Rosenbaum, S., Probst, M., Connaughton, J., du Plessis, C., Yamamoto, T., Stubbs, B. Top 10 Research Questions to Promote Physical Activity Research in People with Binge Eating Disorder Eating Disorders: The Journal of Treatment and Prevention (In press)
- Connaughton, J. and Wand, B. (2015) Prevalence, characteristics and impact of headaches experienced by people with schizophrenia and schizo-affective disorder. Proceeding of the World Confederation for Physical Therapy Congress 2015. www.wcpt.org/congress
- Connaughton, J. and Wand, B. (2014) Prevalence, characteristics and impact of headaches experienced by people with schizophrenia and schizo-affective disorder. Proceedings of the 5th International Physical Therapy in Psychiatry and Mental Health: "Presence" in the world of today Retrieved from http://www.icppmh.org/ICPPMH%20-%20Utrecht%20abstractbook.pdf
- Connaughton, J. and Gibson, W. (2014) Perceptions of psychiatry and clients with mental health co-morbidity in general practice physiotherapists in Western Australia. Proceedings of the 5th International Physical Therapy in Psychiatry and Mental Health: "Presence" in the world of today Retrieved from http://www.icppmh.org/ICPPMH%20-%20Utrecht%20abstractbook.pdf
- Connaughton, J., Patman, S. and Pardoe, C. (2014) A pilot study investigating associations between physical activity, fatigue, sleep quality and pain in people with mental illness. Proceedings of the 5th International Physical Therapy in Psychiatry and Mental Health: "Presence" in the world of today Retrieved from http://www.icppmh.org/ICPPMH%20-%20Utrecht%20abstractbook.pdf
- Connaughton, J. Gibson, W. Has our profession overlooked the psycho in bio-psycho-social model? Proceedings of the APA Physiotherapy Business, Education and Leadership Symposium: New Frontiers. Retrieved from http://issuu.com/graydesigngroup/docs/apa_symposium_2014_ebook_program_we?e=5197523/9724620
- Connaughton, J. Gibson, W. Attitudes of Physiotherapy students towards mental health, psychiatry and the undergraduate curriculum. Proceedings of the APA Conference 2013: New Moves. Retrieved fromhttp://issuu.com/graydesigngroup/docs/apa_2013_conference_abstracts/191?e=5197523/5246290
- Gibson. W., Patman, S. and Connaughton. J. Lead or be led? Should electrotherapy be taught in a contemporary entry-level physiotherapy curriculum? Proceedings of the APA Conference 2013: New Moves. Retrieved from http://issuu.com/graydesigngroup/docs/apa_2013_conference_abstracts/191?e=5197523/5246290
- Connaughton, J,& Edgar, S. (2012). What is the relevance of undergraduate e-portfolios to professional work practices? Proceedings from the 2012 ACEN Conference. Collaborative Education: Investing in the Future. http://acen.edu.au/2012conference/proceedings
- Evidencing Reflective Practice with E-portfolios, E-portfolios Australia Conference 2011 (EAC 2011), Perth, Western Australia, 17/10/11 Abstract: http://eportfoliosaustralia.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/eac2011_ebook_v2_20111125.pdf
In the Media
Physiotherapy in mental health
Australian Physiotherapy Association
Australian Collaborative Education Network
International Organisation of Physical Therapists in Mental Health
2012 Office of Teaching and Learning (OLT) Citation for outstanding contribution to student learning ($10000): The Notre Dame School of Physiotherapy Clinical Education Team (J Connaughton S Edgar and J Francis-Coad) for developing and scaffolding reflective practice skills in an online environment to promote independent work-ready graduates.