Dr Daniel Baldino
Discipline Head of The Politics and International Relations program
Phone: 9433 0127
Dr Daniel Baldino is a political scientist specialising in Australian foreign, defence and security policy including counter-terrorism, intelligence studies and government and politics of the Indo-Pacific at the University of Notre Dame, Fremantle.
In 2000, he was a Research Associate at the Library of Congress, Washington DC. In 2009 he was a visiting scholar within the Security and Governance Program, East-West Center, Hawaii, USA. In 2015, he was a visiting scholar at The Canadian Centre of Intelligence and Security Studies, University of Carleton, Ottawa. He has also provided education and professional development programs at the University of Fiji.
He has produced numerous books and articles. His edited book (with Langlois, A and Carr, A) Controversies in Australian Foreign Policy: the core debates, published by Oxford University Press, was the winner of the Australian Institute of International Affairs' inaugural publication grant.
He is currently the Western Australian chapter convener for Australian Institute for Professional Intelligence Officers (AIPIO) as well as an Associate Editor for the Journal of the Indian Ocean Region.
Australian Foreign Policy
Terrorism and Intelligence
Strategy and Diplomacy
Critical Security Studies
Research expertise and supervision
- Australian foreign, defence and security policy
- Intelligence, Policing, Surveillance and Spycraft
- Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism
- The Indo-Pacific region
- Technology and security
- Baldino, D and Crawley, R, 2018, Intelligence and the Function of Government, Melbourne University Press
- Baldino, D and Brennan, M, 2016, 1915: Australians at War and On the Home Front, Big Sky Publishing.
- Baldino, D, Langlois, A and Carr, A, 2014 Controversies in Australian Foreign Policy: the core debates, Oxford University Press.
- Baldino, D (ed.), 2013 Spooked: the truth about intelligence in Australia, UNSWPress.
- Baldino, D, Lundberg, D, Pietsch, J and Rees, J, 2011 Contemporary Challenges to Australian Security, Palgrave MacMillan.
- Baldino, D (ed.), 2009 Democratic Oversight of Intelligence and its Challenges, Federation Press, Melbourne.
- Baldino, D, and Milligan, C, 2018, ‘OSINT: Optimising Open Source Intelligence in the Information Age’ in Intelligence and the Function of Government, Melbourne University Press.
- Baldino, D and Barnes, J, 2016, ‘Foreign Policy: Old problems, new alliances and the retreat of soft power’ in Aulich, C (ed.), The Abbott and Turnbull Government, Echo Books, Canberra.
- Baldino, D, 2015 ‘An intelligence perspective’ in Lesson, R (ed.), Hayek: a collaborative biography, Palgrave MacMillan.
- Baldino, D, Langlois, A and Carr, A (eds.), 2014, ‘Terrorism’ in Controversies in Australian Foreign Policy: the core debates, Oxford University Press.
- Baldino, D (ed.), 2013, ‘Cyber-terrorism: the phantom menace’ in Spooked: the truth about intelligence in Australia, UNSWPress
- Baldino, D, 2008 ‘The National Interest in a Global Era’ in Aulich, C and Wettenhall, R (eds.), Howard’s Fourth Term, University of New South Wales Press, Sydney.
- Baldino, D, 2006 ‘Australia and the World’ in Aulich, C and Wettenhall, R (eds.), Howard’s Second and Third Governments, University of New South Wales Press, Sydney.
Journal articles and proceedings
- Baldino, D and Bloomfield, A, 2019, ‘The Rise Of The 'Indo-Pacific' In Australian Grand Strategic Discourse’, Indo-Pacific Insight Series, PerthUSAsia Centre, January.
- Baldino, D and Barnes, J, 2018, ‘Strange Bedfellows: Australia, Iran and the Dilemma of Torture‐Tainted Information Sharing’, Australian Journal of Politics and History, Vol.64, no.4
- Baldino, D, 2018, ‘The politics of intelligence sharing in the Indian Ocean Rim’, Journal of Indian Ocean region, vol.14, no.3.
- Baldino D and Jamal, B, 2018, ‘A network maritime security approach to intelligence sharing in the IOR’, Journal of Indian Ocean region, vol.14, no.3.
- Baldino, D, and McCarthy-Jones, A, 2016, ‘Mexican Drug Cartels and their Australian Connections: Tracking and Disrupting Dark Networks’, The Journal of the Australian Institute of Professional Intelligence Officers, Vol.24, no.1.
- Baldino, D, 2016, ‘An exercise in management: defence engagement in the Indo-Pacific’, Security Challenges Journal, special edition, Vol.12, no.1.
- Baldino, D and Carr, A, 2016, ‘Defence diplomacy and the ADF: smokescreen or strategy?’, Australian Journal of International Affairs, Vol.70, no.2.
- Baldino, D and Carr, A, 2015, 'An Indo-Pacific norm entrepreneur? Australia and defence diplomacy', Journal of the Indian Ocean Region, Vol.11, no.1.
- Baldino, D and Gould, J, 2014 'Iran and the Emergence of Information Communication Technology: The Evolution of Revolution?', Australian Journal of International Affairs, Vol. 68, no.1.
- Baldino, D and Drum, M, 2012 'Community-based policing as an alternative to 'stop and search'?, Public Policy, Vol. 7, no.2.
- Baldino, D and Drum, M, 2012 'Extended 'Stop and Search' Powers in Australia: A challenge for relations between police officers and citizens', GSTF Journal of Law and Social Sciences Vol. 2, no. 1.
- Baldino, D, Drum, M and Wyatt, B, 2010 'The Privatization of Prisoner Transfer Services in Western Australia. What can we learn from the Ward case?', Australian Journal of Public Administration, Vol. 69, Issue 4, December.
- Baldino, D, 2017, ‘The Politics of Intelligence Sharing in the IOR: a Multi-Pronged Approach to Multi-level Communication’, Australian Political Studies Association, Monash University, September.
- Baldino, D and McCarthy-Jones, A, 2016, ‘Follow the Dots: dark networks and transnational crime’, Australian
- Institute of Professional Intelligence Officers Intelligence Conference, August.
- Baldino, D and M, Situmorarg, 2014, 'People smuggling and Australian Security: an Indonesia perspective', Public Policy Network Conference, The University of Canberra, January.
- Baldino, D, 2010 'The Rudd government and national security: continuity or change in the war on terror?', The Oceanic Conference on International Studies (OCIS), The University of Auckland, New Zealand, July.
- Baldino, D, 2010 'Accountability and Control: The Politics of Security Privatisation', Australian Political Studies Association, The University of Melbourne, September.
- Baldino, D, 2007 'Good Instincts or Poor Judgment? Australia's counter-terrorism response after 9-11', Australasian Political Science Conference, Monash University, Melbourne, September.
- Baldino, D, 2006 'The Politics of Alliance Management – the future of ANZUS', 57th British Political Studies Association Annual Conference, University of Reading, UK, April 5
- Baldino, D, 2005 'The Rehabilitation of Natural Law: Needless Metaphysics or Serving the Common Good?' in International Journal of the Humanities, vol.2, no.2.
- Baldino, D, 2003 'Democracy assistance and the Clinton administration's strategy of selective opportunism', Australasian Political Science Conference, University of Tasmania, Tasmania, September-October.
In the media
- Baldino, D, 2014, 'Whither the Australia-US Alliance?', Interview in Policy, vol. 30, no. 1.
- Baldino, D, 2014, 'Book review: New engagement: contemporary Australian foreign policy towards Africa', Journal of the Indian Ocean Region, Vol.9, no.3.
- Baldino, D, 2012 'Book Review: US-India Strategic Relations', Journal of South Asian Development, Vol.7, no. 1.
- Baldino, D, 2012, 'Australia a Key Component of US Asia-Pacific Posture', Future Directions Strategic Analysis Paper, April.
- Baldino, D, 2006 'Problems of Order, Security and Identity in an Era of International Terrorism' in Hawke Working Paper Series, no. 34, The Hawke Institute of Sustainable Societies.
- Baldino, D, 2004. Ph.D.: From Containment to Enlargement – The impact of the expansion of democracy on US grand strategy and international security under the Clinton administration.