Prof. Werner Soontiens
Prof Werner Soontiens was educated in Belgium and South Africa. He has over twenty five years of experience in tertiary education and completed a PhD in International Management and Economics. He started his academic career at Tshwane University of Technology in Pretoria, South Africa (then Technikon Pretoria) in 1990 before migrating his family to Australia where he joined Curtin University in 2000. He served on faculty executive leadership teams for over a decade in both the Curtin Business School and the Faculty of Humanities before being appointed as Dean of the School of Business at the University of Notre Dame in July 2017. He was appointed on, and contributed to the development of higher education policies and governance as a member of Curtin's Academic Board and the TEQSA Panel of Experts, preceded by a term as an AUQA Auditor. His teaching and research pivot predominantly around international business and cross cultural management in the higher education environment.
Werner has contributed to ANZAM (Academy of Management) as a Board member and currently serves on a number of not-for-profit and religious institution Boards.
Personal interests include travel, sports, beer brewing, motorcycle riding and spending time with his 4 grandchildren.
Research expertise and supervision
Swan Valley Innovation and Knowledge Sharing.
Alternative pathways integration in higher education: Experiences of articulation students.
Research contributor to various research initiatives.
Ph.D. Supervision: Supervisor to completion for 2 students, current supervisor for 1 student, active co-supervisor since 2008.
- Pedigo, K. and Soontiens W. 2013. Managing Quality Assurance in the Delivery of Business Education Internationally: An Australian Perspective. In Ogunmokun, G. O. and Gabbay, R. (eds) Marketing, Management and International Business: Contemporary Issues and Research in Selected Countries. Global Publishing House, Perth. pp211-222.
- Soontiens W. 2012. Edited conference proceedings – 26th Australia and New Zealand Academy of Management (ANZAM) Conference themed ‘Managing for Volatility and Instability’. Promaco Conventions, Perth, Australia
- Soontiens W. 2005. The Services Management Environment. In Nankervis A., (ed.) Managing Services. Cambridge University Press, Melbourne. pp35-68.
- Soontiens W. 2005. Acknowledged Contributor In Organisation of Economic Cooperation and Development (ed).. Looking Beyond Tariffs: The role of Non-Tariff barriers in World Trade p.338 (ISBN: 9789264014602) (also available in French ISBN: 9789264014633)
Journal articles and proceedings
- 2013: Curtin Excellence and Innovation in Teaching Award (Programs that Enhance Student Learning).
- 2012: Curtin Business School Teaching and Learning Award for Initiatives that Support Student Learning (Chinese Articulation Induction program 2009-2012).
- 2008: Listed in top 50 Curtin authors for downloads via E-space.