Professor Michael O'Neill (PhD)
Program Coordinator: Master of Teaching (Secondary)
BA (Hons), Grad Dip Ed (Murdoch), MEd Management (UWA), MEd Religious Education (Notre Dame Aust.), FACEL
Phone: 9433 0164
Michael O'Neill is Professor of Education on the Fremantle campus of the University of Notre Dame Australia. Michael held the position of Executive Dean of the School of Education for 14 years, stepping down from that role at the end of 2018. Previously he had over 24 years’ experience in a wide variety of Catholic secondary schools in middle management and senior management roles. He held a senior role in the Catholic Education Office of Western Australia as Coordinator of Secondary Curriculum, managing a team of curriculum consultants that provided professional development for teachers and leaders within Catholic schools in WA. He has served on several curriculum committees of the School Curriculum and Standards Authority of WA. Michael was a commissioner on the Catholic Education Commission of WA for 6 years. He has also been a ministerial appointment and Vice Chancellors’ of WA nominee to the West Australian College of Teaching (now the Teacher Registration Board of WA).
His research interests include the management of curriculum reform, school improvement, mentoring of pre-service and graduate teachers and student wellbeing. Michael has also been an Assessor for the federal government’s Office of Learning and Teaching (OLT) Awards in higher education. In 2016 he received a National Fellowship Award from the Australian College of Educational Leaders.
Michael has taught students across all undergraduate degrees from Early Childhood to Secondary and is currently the Program Coordinator for the Master of Teaching (Secondary).
Undergraduate courses taught
- EDUC1120 Introduction to Teaching and Curriculum Frameworks
- EDUC4133 / 5023 Professional and Legal Responsibilities of Teachers
- EDUC5237 Planning and Pedagogy
- EDUC5223 Teaching and Learning Strategies for Adolescents
- EDUC5026 Positive Education: Wellbeing and Student Achievement
Postgraduate courses taught
- EDUC6420 Instructional Leadership
- EDUC6581 Mentoring and Coaching Graduate, Early Career and Established Teachers
- EDUC6026 Positive Education: Wellbeing and Student Achievement
Research expertise and supervisions
School Leadership Roles, School Improvement and Instructional Leadership, Graduate Attrition and Retention
Currently Co-supervising PhD candidates exploring leadership teams in Secondary schools and the role of Assistant Principals in Primary Schools
Current research projects
- Examination of attrition and retention in Western Australian Public Schools. In collaboration with Ms. Janine Wyatt Principal Consultant Workforce Planning Department of Education Western Australia.
Completed research projects
- 2011 Leading Educational Achievement through Dialogue (L.E.A.D) a Commissioned review of Effective Teaching Practice in Catholic Secondary Schools in WA.
- 2014 Commissioned Review of Catholic Education WA Services Delivery
- 2016 Commissioned Review of Catholic Education WA Experienced Principals Program (2 Year Longitudinal Review) Funded by AITSL
- 2017 Commissioned Review of Teacher Effectiveness Aquinas College (2 year Longitudinal Review)
- O’Neill, M. (2013) Evaluation of CEWA Experienced Principals Program ($12,500) Australian Institute of Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) / Catholic Education WA (CEWA)
- O’Neill, M., Coffey, A. Hampton, P. (2018). Review of Middle School Teaching Practice ($17,250) Aquinas College
Current higher degree by research students
- Co- Supervisor - Lisa Gallin The Role of Assistant Principals in Catholic Primary Schools in WA
- Co-Supervisor – Daniel Groenwald The characteristics of senior leadership teams in high performing Western Australian Catholic secondary schools.
Journal articles and proceedings
- O’Neill, M.R., & Glasson, S. (2018). Revitalising professional learning for experienced principals: Energy versus ennui. Educational Management Administration and Leadership 47(6), 839-842. https://doi.org/10.1177/1741143218764175
- O'Neill, M., Lavery, S., & Coffey, A. (2017). Parents: Active partners in the educational achievement of their children. eJournal of Catholic Education in Australasia: 3 (1) , Article 7.
- O’Neill, M. (2014). Evaluation of the Catholic Education Office of W.A. Service Delivery Trial 2014. Commissioned Report for the Catholic Education Commission of WA.
- O’Neill, M. (2014). Evaluation of the Catholic Education Office of W.A. Experienced Principals Program 2014. Commissioned Report for the Catholic Education Commission of WA.
- O’Neill, M. (2013). Evaluation of the Catholic Education Office of W.A. Experienced Principals Program 2013. Commissioned Report for the Catholic Education Commission of WA and Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership
- Coffey, A., Berlach, R., & O’Neill, M. (2013) Transitioning Year 7 primary students to secondary settings in Western Australian Catholic Schools: How successful was the move? Research in Middle Level Education Online (RMLE), 36(10), 1-15.
- O’Neill, M., Coffey, A., Lavery, S., Oaten, J., & Thompson, L. (2011). The L.E.A.D. project: Leading educational achievement through dialogue 2010. A report of the Research Team of the School of Education, University of Notre Dame Australia.
- Coffey, A., Berlach, R. G., & O’Neill, M. (2011). Transitioning year 7 primary students to secondary settings in Western Australian Catholic schools: A description of the process. Journal of Catholic School Studies, 83(2), 6-17.
- Berlach, R. G., & O’Neill, M. (2008). Western Australia’s ‘English’ course of study: To OBE or not to OBE, perhaps that is the question. Australian Journal of Education, 52(1), 49-62.
- O’Neill, M. (2014). Quality teaching: Invitation, initiation and liberation. Key Note address Edmund Rice Australia Principals’ Conference at CBC Fremantle.
- O’Neill, M. & Glasson, S. (2013). The Professional Development of Experienced Principals: A Systemic Response. AITSL Symposium on School Leadership Melbourne.
- Australian Council for Educational Leaders
- Australian Teacher Education Association
Provided professional development seminars for numerous high schools on effective teaching, school improvement and peer mentoring.
Board Member South Fremantle High School 2015-2017
Board Member Mercy Education 2013-2015
- 2017 – Catholic Education WA - Instructional Leadership Module in the Aspiring Principals Program ($4,500)
- 2017 - Catholic Education WA - Instructional Leadership Module in the Experienced Principals Program ($1000)
- 2016 – Catholic Education WA - Instructional Leadership Module in the Experienced Principals Program ($1000)
- 2015 – Peer Mentoring and Coaching Corpus Christi College ($1000)
- 2015 – Peer Mentoring and Coaching Corpus Christi College ($1000)
- 2014 - Catholic Education WA – Review of Service Delivery ($15,000)
- 2014 – Peer Mentoring and Coaching ($1000) John Paul College
- 2013 – More Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Teachers Initiative (MATSITI) Project ($6000)
- 2013 - Office for Teaching and Learning ($1200)
- 2012 – Office for Teaching and Learning ($1200)
- 2012 - Peer Mentoring and Coaching St Norbert’s College ($6000)
- 2016 Fellow Australian Council of Educational Leaders
- 2019 Dean’s Award for Excellence in Teaching UNDA