Associate Professor Caroline Bulsara
Research Coordinator & academic research
BA (Hons) (UK), Grad Dip Ed Studies, PhD (Primary Health)
Associate Professor Caroline Bulsara holds a joint position between the Institute for Health Research (IHR) as an academic researcher and the School of Nursing & Midwifery where her role is research postgraduate coordinator. Through her position within IHR, she also works collaboratively with a number of hospitals in Perth focusing on qualitative and evaluative research. Previously, Caroline has worked externally across WA universities and primary health organisations to build health research capacity in a number of health related areas. She completed her PhD in the area of cancer patient empowerment at the School of Primary, Aboriginal and Rural Health Care, the University of Western Australia in 2008. The study included the development of Patient Empowerment Scale using Rasch Modelling which has since been used in a number of studies both in Australia and overseas.
She was inaugural research centre manager for a large WA based not for profit organisation for a period of 3 years. She has a strong interest in community and consumer participatory research including expertise in working with disadvantaged and marginalised populations and has worked on several consumer and community directed studies. Her main areas of strength and expertise include evaluative research, qualitative research methodologies and community participatory research. She is strongly committed to the giving a ‘voice to’ and enabling the wellbeing of all community members through research and has worked with a number of community organisations over the years.
She works with a number of research active groups both within Notre Dame and at other universities primarily in the areas of psych oncology, cognitive impairment and dementia, ageing and chronic illness. She is an investigator on a number of successful competitive grants in all of the above areas of research.
Currently, she is an Associate Investigator on the Continuous Improvement in Cancer Care (CIC) project in the area of Patient Reported Outcomes Measurement (PROMS) working closely with the consumer advisory group led by Ms Anne McKenzie, AM.
She teaches research methods at postgraduate level across a number of schools at University of Notre Dame. Her main area of focus and expertise are:
- Qualitative research
- Mixed methods
- Survey design
- Evaluative research methods and community participatory research methods
Her main areas of expertise include survey and evaluative research, questionnaire design, qualitative research methodologies and community participatory research. She has had eight student completions at masters and doctoral level to date. She currently supervises;
- PhD supervision * 11 (nursing; health sciences; arts and science; physiotherapy)
- Masters supervision * 3
Research expertise and supervision
She completed her PhD in the area of cancer patient empowerment at the School of Primary, Aboriginal and Rural Health Care, the University of Western Australia in 2008.
Her main areas of expertise include survey and evaluative research, questionnaire design, qualitative research methodologies and community participatory research.
3 interstate PhD students.
PhD supervision * 11
Professional doctorate * 2
Masters supervision * 3
Williams A, Bulsara C, Peterson A. Evidence based non pharmacological therapies for palliative cancer care in Cho, WCS (ed) Evidence based anti-cancer complementary and alternative medicines. Medicine 4. Doi 10.1007/978-94-007- 5833-9_10. Springer Science and Business Media.
Bulsara, C, Chan, A and Styles, I. Motivating Women with Breast Cancer to achieve empowerment by the use of support strategies in Motivating Health Behaviour. Nova Publishers US. Second quarter, 2007.
Bulsara, C and Styles, I. Empowering patients: coping with cancer in ‘Advances in Psychology Research’ Volume 48. Nova Publishers US. November 2006.
Journal articles and proceedings
She has over 70 publications and 3 book chapters to date with the more recent publications included here.
- Taylor K, Chivers P, Bulsara C, Joske D, Bulsara M, Monterosso L. (2019) Care After Lymphoma (CALy) trial: A phase II pilot pragmatic randomised controlled trial of a nurse-led model of survivorship care, European Journal of Oncology Nursing (2019), doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2019.03.005.
- Neylon S, Bulsara C, Hill A-M (2019): Improving Australian Residential Aged Care Facilities: A Review of Minor Refurbishment Elements, Journal of Housing For the Elderly.DOI: 10.1080/02763893.2018.1561591
- Ho P, Bulsara M, Downs J, Patman S, Bulsara C, Hill A-M. (2019). Incidence and prevalence of falls in adults with intellectual disability living in the community: a systematic review. JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports. Doi: 10.11124/JBISRIR-2017-0003798.
- Ho, P., Bulsara, C., Patman, S., Bulsara, M., Downs, J., & Hill, A. M. (2018). Investigating falls in adults with intellectual disability living in community settings and their experiences of post-fall care services: protocol for a prospective observational cohort study. BMC geriatrics, 18(1), 171.
- Morgan DJR, Eng D, Higgs D, Beilin M, Bulsara C, Wong M, Angus L, Waldron N. (2018). Advance-care-planning (ACP) documentation strategies; Goals-of-Care (GOC) as an alternative to Not-for-Resuscitation (NFR) in medical and oncology patients. A pre-and-post controlled study on quantifiable outcomes. Intern Med J. 2018 Jul 24. doi: 10.1111/imj.14048.
- Ho P, Patman S, Bulsara C, Hill A-M. (2018) Addressing Challenges to Engage People with Intellectual Disability in Research. British Journal of Learning Disabilities. 1-9. DOI:10.1111/bld.12217.
- Reynolds B, Bulsara C, Exploring Pathways Towards Improving Patient Experience of Robot-Assisted Radical Prostatectomy (RARP): Assessing Patient Satisfaction and Attitudes. British Journal of Urology. (2018)
- Douglas A, Mak D, Bulsara C, Macey D, Samarawickrema I. (2018) The teaching and learning of health advocacy in Australian medical schools. International Journal of Medical Education. 2018; 26-34. DOI: 10.5116/ijme.5a4b.6a15.
- Shaw J, Bulsara C, Cohen P, Hardcastle S (2017) Investigating barriers to genetic counseling and germline mutation testing in women with suspected Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer Syndrome and Lynch syndrome. Patient Education and Counseling. doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2017.12.011 .
- Blackburn P, Bulsara C (2017) I am tired of having to prove that my husband was dead and I'm not." Dealing with practical matters in bereavement: The impact on the bereaved. Death Studies. DOI:10.1080/07481187.2017.1415392
- Arnold Reed D, Brett T, Troeung L, Vickery A, Garton Smith J, Bell D, Pang J, Grace T, Bulsara C, Li I, Bulsara M, Watts G (2017) Detection and management of familial hypercholesterolaemia in primary care in Australia: protocol for a pragmatic cluster intervention study with pre-post intervention comparisons. BMJ Open. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2017-017539.
- King C, Russell K, Bulsara C (2017) Promoting student belongingness: 'WANTED' the development, implementation and evaluation of a toolkit for nurses. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing. 34(3).
- Karla L Seaman, Frank M Sanfilippo, Elizabeth E Roughead, Max K Bulsara, Anna Kemp-Casey, Caroline Bulsara, Gerald F Watts, David Preen Impact of consumer co-payments for subsidised medicines on health services use and outcomes: a protocol using linked administrative data from Western Australia. BMJ Open, 2017/7. Doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2016-013691.
- Ho P, Patman S, Downs J, Bulsara C, Hill AM (2017) The incidence and prevalence of falls among adults with intellectual disability living within the community: a systematic review protocol. JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports.
- Taylor K, Monterosso L, Lobb L, Krishnasamy M, Bulsara C, Yates P. A qualitative study of the post-treatment experiences and support needs of survivors of lymphoma. European Journal of Oncology Nursing. 28(2017) 62-68.
- Saunders R, Diana Jonas-Dwyer D, Gallagher O, Dugmore H, Bulsara C, Metcalf, H. (2017) Confronting Reality: A case study of student nurses undertaking a Management of Aggression Training (MOAT) program. Nurse Education in Practice. Aug 2017.
- Juliff D, Russell K, Bulsara C. (2016) Male or Nurse what comes first? Challenges men face on their journey to nurse registration. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing 34(2).
- Juliff D, Russell K, Bulsara C (2016) The Essence of Helping: Significant Others and nurses in action draw men into nursing. Contemporary Nurse, DOI: 10.1080/10376178.2016.1254567
- Williams AM, Lester L, Bulsara C, Petersen A, Bennett K, Allen K, Joske D. (2016) Patient Evaluation of Emotional Comfort Experienced (PEECE): Developing and Testing a Measurement Instrument. BMJ Open.
- Bulsara C, Etherton-Beer C, Saunders R. (2016) Models for community based day care for older people: a narrative review. Cogent Social Sciences. 2:1267301. Doi.org/10.1080/23311886.2016.1267301.
- Bulsara C, Cuesta-Briand B, McKenzie A, Moorin R. (2016) Communication factors impacting on the ability of a family to adjust to caring for a family member following a catastrophic injury in Western Australia. Nursing and Palliative Care 1(6). Doi:10.15761/NPC.1000134.
- McKenzie A. Alpers K, Bulsara, C (2016) Barriers to community involvement in health and medical research - Researchers perspectives on consumer and community involvement in research: a qualitative study. The University of Western Australia School of Population Health, Telethon Kids Institute and The University of Notre Dame. ISBN 978-0-9872783-5-7.
- Neylon S, Bulsara C, Hill Anne Marie. (2017) The effectiveness of environment assessment tools as refurbishment guides for Australian residential aged care facilities: A systematic review. Australasian Journal on Ageing. 36(2).
- Monterosso L, Platt V, Yates P, Krishnasamy M, Bulsara C (2016) The Cancer Nurse Coordinator Service in Western Australia: Perspectives of specialist cancer nurse coordinators. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing. 34(2).
- Davis, S O'Ferrall, I, Hoare, S, Bulsara, C, Mak, D. (2016) Post-graduation impact of teaching clinical audit in medical school: a qualitative study. Medical Teacher. Accepted for publication May 2017.
- Francis-Coad J, Etherton-Beer C, Bulsara C, Blackburn N, Chivers P, Hill AM, What worked translating evidence into practice: a mixed methods evaluation of the impact of a falls prevention community of practice. BMC Health Services Research BMC series 201818:21 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-017-2790-2
- Pearson M, Bulsara C (2016) Therapists' experiences of alliance formation in short-term counselling. European Journal of Psychotherapy & Counselling. European Journal of Psychotherapy & Counselling: 18;1, 75-92.
- Bulsara C, Khong L, Hill KD, Hill A-M. (2016) Investigating community perspectives on falls prevention information seeking and delivery: Older person perspectives regarding falls prevention education using a world café approach. Journal of Community Psychology. 44:7. 937-944.
- Taylor K, Joske D, Bulsara M, Bulsara C, Monterosso L. Protocol for the Care After Lymphoma (CALy) Trial: a phase II pilot randomised controlled trial of a lymphoma nurse-led model of survivorship care. Collegian Under review.
- Khong L, Bulsara C, Hill KD,Hill A-A. How older adults would like falls prevention information delivered: Fresh insights from a World Café forum. Ageing & Society. March 2016, pp1-18.
- Burton, T., Hands, B., Bulsara, C.(2015). Metaphors used by eating disordered women to describe their experience of being pregnant. Evidence Based Midwifery Journal, 13(4), 126-132.
- Douglas A, Mak D, Bulsara C, Macey D, Samarawickrema I. (2015) The Medical graduate as health advocate: the teaching and learning of health advocacy in Australian medical schools. International Journal of Medical Education. 7: 110-130.
- Hutchinson K, Roberts C, Daly M, Bulsara C, Kurrle S (2015) Empowerment of young people who have a parent living with dementia: a social model perspective. International Journal of Psychogeriatrics.
- Martin E, Bulsara C, Hands B, Naumann F. (2015) Breast and Prostate Cancer Survivor Response to Group Exercise and Supportive Group Psychotherapy. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology. DOI:10.1080/07347332.2015.1082166.
- Francis Coad J, Etherton Beer C, Bulsara C, Nobre D, Hill A-M (2015) Investigating the impact of a falls prevention community of practice in a residential aged‐care setting: a mixed methods study protocol. Journal of Advanced Nursing. DOI:10.1111/jan.12725.
- Blackburn P, McGrath P, Bulsara C. (2015) looking through the lens of receptivity and its role in bereavement support: A review of the literature. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care. DOI: 10.1177/1049909115595608.
- Williams A, Allen J, Zeps N, Pienaar C, Bulsara C, Monterosso L (2015) Consent to Donate Surgical Biospecimens for Research: Perceptions of People With Colorectal Cancer. Cancer Nursing. DOI: 10.1097/NCC.0000000000000274.
- Pearson, M., O'Brien, P., & Bulsara, C. (2015, March 9). A Multiple Intelligences Approach to Counseling: Enhancing Alliances with a Focus on Strengths. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0038881
- Williams, A.M., Bulsara, C., Joske, D., Petterson, A., Nowak, A., & Bennett, K. (2014). An oasis in the hospital: the perceived benefits of a cancer support centre in a hospital setting offering complementary therapies. Journal of Holistic Nursing, 32(4), 250-260.
- Bulsara, C. (2014) Are we truly addressing the needs of older persons with cancer? Editorial in Austral-Asian Journal of Cancer, 13(4), Oct 2014.
- Bulsara C, Brett TD, Seaman K, Arnold Reed D. (2014) Retaining consumer participation in the Fremantle Primary Prevention Study: a GP team based cardiovascular risk reduction study. Journal of Nursing Health Care, 1(2).
- Seaman K, Bulsara CE, Saunders RD. (2014) Interprofessional learning in residential aged care: providing optimal care for residents. Australian Journal of Primary Health. Aug 2014.
- Williams, AM, Petterson, A., Bulsara, C., Bennett, K., Joske, D., Musiello, T., & Lester, L. August, 2014. Promoting and measuring the mental wellbeing of mainstream patients in hospital. Poster presented at the 15th International Mental Health Conference, Surfer's Paradise, Queensland.
- Cocks E, Bulsara C, Netto J, OCallaghan A, Borden R. (2014) Exploring the experiences of people with the dual diagnosis of acquired brain injury and mental illness. Brain Injury. 2014.
- Bulsara, Caroline. (2013) Understanding seniors' preference for pharmacist advice regarding medications Editorial for Journal of Pharmacy and Practice Research, 43(1), 2013.
- Bulsara, C & Styles, I. Development of a Cancer Related Patient Empowerment Scale Using the Polytomous Rasch Measurement Model. Cancer and Clinical Oncology 2013. Vol. 2(1).
- Williams A, Bulsara C, Peterson A. Evidence based non pharmacological therapies for palliative cancer care in Cho, WCS (ed) Evidence based anti-cancer complementary and alternative medicines. Medicine 4. Doi 10.1007/978-94-007- 5833-9_10. Springer Science and Business Media.
- Pearson M, Bulsara C. Therapeutic alliances and body language: Counselors' experiences of alliance formation. submitted to Journal of Counseling & Development. Mar 2013.
- Emery, Jon; Walter, Fiona; Gray, Vicky; Sinclair, Craig; Howting, Denise; Bulsara, Max; Bulsara, Caroline; Webster, Andrew; Auret, Kirsten; Saunders, Christobel; Nowak, Anna; Holman, D'Arcy. Diagnosing cancer in the bush: a mixed methods study of GP and specialist diagnostic intervals in rural Western Australia. Family Practice. 2013, May 22.
- Emery, Jon; Walter, Fiona; Gray, Vicky; Sinclair, Craig; Howting, Denise; Bulsara, Max; Bulsara, Caroline; Webster, Andrew; Auret, Kirsten; Saunders, Christobel; Nowak, Anna; Holman, D'Arcy. Diagnosing cancer in the bush: a mixed methods study of symptom appraisal and help seeking behaviour in people with cancer from rural Western Australia. Family Practice. 2013, Jan 30.
- Cocks, E., Bulsara, C., Netto, J., O'Callaghan, A. Dual diagnosis of mental illness and acquired brain injury: Making positive changes towards rehabilitation and recovery. ISBN 978-0-9808147-9-8. 13th International Mental health conference.
- Sommer, J., MacDonald, W., Bulsara, C., Lim, D. Grunt language versus accent: the perceived communication barriers between International medical graduates and patients in the Central Wheatbelt Catchment of Western Australia. Australian Journal of Primary Health. 2012, 18; 197-203.
- Sinclair C, Auret K, Forrester L, Burgess A, Bulsara C. Utilisation of the advance health directive among older Australian rural adults: a qualitative study. BMJ Supportive and Palliative Care. June 2012. Vol 2(2).
- Boyle T, Landrigan J, Bulsara C, Fritschi L, Heyworth J. Increasing study participation. Epidemiology: March 2011, 22(2); 279.
- Moorin R, Gibson D, Bulsara C, Holman CDJ. Challenging the perceptions of cancer service provision for the disadvantaged: evaluating utilisation of cancer support services in Western Australia. Supportive Cancer Care January 2011.
- Bulsara C, McKenzie A, Sanfilippo F, Holman CDJ, Emery JE. 'Not the full Monty'. A qualitative study of seniors' perceptions of generic medicines in Western Australia. Australian Journal of Primary Health.2010. Vol 16. Pp 240- 245.
- Emery J, McKenzie A, Bulsara C, Holman CDJ. Reimbursment requires reform.BMJ 2010;341:c3570. doi:10.1136/bmj.c3570.
- Bulsara, C. A study of the recruitment and retention of medical officers to Australian Football League clubs in Australia. Australian Journal of Primary Health. 2010. Vol 16. Pp 192-7.
- Bulsara C, Civil M, Karner S, Evans A, Bailey D, Oslewski E, and Gaebler S. Attitudes and practices of recording diabetic patient information within an Australian general practice setting: an exploratory study. Informatics in Primary Care. 2009. Vol 17 (1).
- Bulsara, C & McKenzie, A. Lack of information and awareness amongst seniors regarding medications safety is troubling. MJA. Letter to MJA. Aug 2009.
- Bulsara C, Chan A, Emery JE, Ward AM, Joske D. Balancing self-reliance with use of support mechanisms amongst breast cancer patients. Austral-Asian Journal of Cancer, Vol 7(3). July 2008.
- Bulsara, C, Chan, A and Styles, I. Motivating Women with Breast Cancer to achieve empowerment by the use of support strategies in Motivating Health Behaviour. Nova Publishers US. Second quarter, 2007.
- Bulsara, C, Fynn, N GP awareness of carer emotional needs and issues in Western Australia. BMC Family Practice, Vol 7 (33), 2006.
- Bulsara, C, Styles, I. Empowering patients: coping with cancer in 'Advances in Psychology Research' Volume 48. Nova Publishers US. November 2006.
- McGaw A*, Jayasuriya P, Bulsara C, Thompson SC. Time to rethink primary health care – a survey of community needs and issues regarding general practice and emergency department services in an outer Perth metropolitan area, Australian Journal of Primary Health, November 2006.
- Bulsara C, Ward A, Styles I, Bulsara M., The psychometrics of developing the Patient Empowerment Scale Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, Vol 24(2), 2006
- Bulsara, C, Ward A and Joske, D Patient Perceptions of the General Practitioner In Cancer Management" Australian Family Physician Vol 34, No 4. April 2005.
- Hall, S., Bulsara, C., Bulsara, M., Leahy, T., Culbong, M.,, Hendrie, Dand Holman, C D'Arcy J., Treatment patterns for cancer in Western Australia: does being Indigenous make a difference? MJA Vol 181, 2004.
- Bulsara C, Ward, A and Joske, D. "Identifying Coping Strategies amongst Cancer Patients receiving Treatment for Haematological Malignancies" Journal of Clinical Nursing Vol 13, February 2004.
- Auret, K, Bulsara, C Joske, D. "End of Life Care in Patients with Haematological Malignancies" Journal of Internal Medicine Vol 33, December 2003.
- Bulsara C, Williams P & Williams A. Caring for the carer: empowering carers through educational workshop participation. Perth COSA
- Bulsara C, Arnold reed D, Delfos W, Brett TD. Current awareness of familial hypercholesterolaemia detection and management among GPs and practice nurses. Primary Health Care conference. Melbourne August 2018. Poster presentation.
- Eng D, Bulsara C, Morgan D, Beilin M, Angus L. Patient and clinical staff attitudes to discussions and documentation of DNR or Goals of Care. International Conference on Communication in Healthcare. September 2018, Porto, Portugal.
- Saunders R, Robinson S, Bulsara C et al. An evaluative study of a stroke peer support pilot program at a community hospital. 9th International Congress of Innovations in Nursing, 2018 Nov, Perth.
- Juliff D, Russell K, Bulsara C. Nursing leadership influence on male graduated nurses retention experiences explored in the professional practice environment. International Nursing Research conference. July 2017. Dublin, Ireland. Oral.
- Refurbishing residential aged care facilities – where do we start? Neylon S, Bulsara C, Hill A-M. Australian Association for Gerontology. Nov 2017. Poster.
- Living with severe muscle weakness: perspectives of youth with neuromuscular disorders. Vivienne Travlos, Dr Jenny Downs, Dr. Andrew Wilson, Assoc Prof Caroline Bulsara, Dr Dana Hince, Assoc Prof Shane Patman. Australian Physiotherapy Association Conference October 2017. Poster.
- Addressing Challenges to Engage People with Intellectual Disability in Research. Portia Ho, Jenny Downs, Caroline Bulsara, Shane Patman, Anne-Marie Hill Conference for Australian Society for Intellectual Disability (ASID) WA. June 2017
- What is the post-graduation impact of teaching clinical audit to medical students? A qualitative study. Stephanie Davis, Ilse O'Ferrall, Samuel Hoare, Caroline Bulsara, Donna Mak. AMEE 2017. Poster.
- Anyone can find the dirt, be the one that finds the gold. Neylon, S, Bulsara C, Hill, Anne Marie.16th National Conference of Emerging Researchers in Ageing. Curtin University Nov 2017.
- Williams, A., Fournier, C. Allen, E. Joske, D. Petterson, A. Stomski, N. Bulsara, C. Myer, H. Bennett, K. Phillips, M. Furzer, B. Miller, L. (June 2018). Insights from a feasibility study into cancer patients' choice and use of complementary therapies. Poster presented at 21st CNSA Annual Congress - Cancer Nursing: Science, Symptoms and Service Delivery, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
- International Association for Gerontology (IAAG) Perth, 2017. Lessons learned: Informal falls conversations using a world café approach. Oral.
- Health Services Research (HSRAANZ) conference, Melbourne 2015. Using a world café community forum to explore preferences of seniors about seeking and receiving falls presentation information. Poster.
- PHCRIS, Adelaide 2015 Karla Seaman, Max Bulsara, Anna Kemp-Casey, David Preen, Caroline Bulsara. Is there a difference in characteristics of consumers who cease or reduce their medication? A review of statin mediation dispensing pre and post a PBS co-payment increase. Oral.
- PHCRIS, Adelaide 2015 Arnold Reed D, Brett T, Bulsara C. A proof of concept study to identify familial hypercholesterolaemia (FH) in primary care. Oral.
- PHCRIS, Canberra 2014. Using sound therapy to ease agitation amongst persons with dementia: a pilot study. Oral.
- IPOS (International Psycho Oncology Society) 14th November, 2012 Brisbane.
- Caroline was an author for two papers as follows and in collaboration with ECU
- and with UWA (2) Williams, Bulsara, Petersen. Safety and side-effects of 15 non- pharmacological interventions used as a therapy for cancer: a surprising assessment of the literature. (ii)Emery et al. Title: Diagnosing cancer in the bush: a mixed methods study of diagnostic intervals in people with cancer from rural Western Australia.
- Putting people first in research: INVOLVE UK. Consumer conference Nottingham, UK Nov 2012 Anne McKenzie & Caroline Bulsara. Embedding public involvement in health services research.
- Williams, A.M., Lester, L., Petterson, A., Bulsara, C., Bennett, K., Joske, D., Musiello, T., & Allen, E. (August 2015). Developing and testing of a new research instrument to measure the mental wellbeing of inpatients and outpatients within the acute care hospital setting. Poster presented at 16th International Mental Health Conference, Surfer's Paradise, Queensland.
- Williams A, Bulsara C, Petersen A. Safety and Side-effects of 15 Non- pharmacological Interventions used as a Therapy for Cancer: A Surprising Assessment of the Literature. IPOS Brisbane 2012.
- Williams, A.M., Joske, D., Bulsara, C., Nowak, A., Petterson, A., & Bennett, K. (March, 2011). Revealing the role of a Cancer Support Centre in the spiritual journey of patients diagnosed with cancer. The Seventh WA State Cancer Conference, Perth, WA.
- Bulsara CE, Cuesta Briand B, Moorin R, McKenzie A. Evaluation of the costs, availability and accessibility of care in Western Australia for those with catastrophic injury. ISBN 978-1-74052-202-1. Commissioned work for the Insurance Commission of Western Australia.
- Bulsara C, McKenzie AM, Holman CDJ, Emery JE. Improving care: The value of using a community participatory research model to inform meaningful health care research and reform. Symposium at the national GP and Primary Health Care conference. Darwin 2010.
- Bulsara C, McKenzie AM. Hidden from view: families caring for someone with a long term catastrophic injury in the community. National GP and Primary Health Care conference. Darwin 2010.
- Williams, A.M., Joske, D., Steed, L., Bulsara, C., Nowak, A., & Petterson, A. (April 2010). An oasis in the hospital. The perceived benefits of a cancer support centre. 10th Biennial Behavioural research in Cancer Control Conference, Fremantle, WA.
- Williams, A.M., Joske, D., Steed, L., Bulsara, C., Nowak, A., & Petterson, A. (December, 2009). An oasis in the hospital. The perceived benefits of a cancer support centre. WA Cancer Research Symposium, Fremantle, WA.
- Cuesta Briand B, Bulsara CE, Moorin R, McKenzie A. Developing a practical consumer involvement model in a research setting. Poster at the Health Services Policy & Research conference. November 2009. Brisbane.
- Bulsara C, Styles I & Emery JE. Can we measure empowerment in cancer patients? Poster presentation for IPOS June 2009 in Vienna, Austria.
- Bulsara, C. Addressing the emotional needs of carers – can we do better? Oral presentation for the General Practice and Primary Health Care conference in Adelaide July 2005.
- Van der Heide, B Foster, L, Bulsara, C and Roberts, L GP use of allied health services in the Fremantle region. Oral presentation for the PHCRED 2*2 conference Perth August 2005.
- Bulsara, C and Pierce, N Involving consumers meaningfully in health research.
- A workshop designed for the PHCRED 2*2 conference. August Perth 2005.
- Bulsara, C and Bunker A. Finding a balance: Reflections of a new tutor. A round table discussion at the Teaching and Learning Forum, Murdoch University February 2004.
- Bulsara C, Ward A, Styles I, Bulsara M and Joske D Development of an Empowerment Measure. Oral presentation for the International Psycho-oncology conference Copenhagen Denmark Aug 2004.
- Bulsara, C., Are GPs aware of carer needs and issues? Keynote address for Carers Queensland Forum, Brisbane and Townsville. October 2004.
- Bulsara C, Ward A, Styles I, Bulsara M and Joske D Development of an Empowerment Measure. A poster for the General Practice and Primary Health Care conference in Brisbane June 2004
Her areas of research interest include patient empowerment, caregiver quality of life, wellbeing amongst the ageing and those from disadvantaged backgrounds along with quality of life for persons living with a neurological impairment. She has worked closely over the years with the Carers Association WA, the Health Consumers Council, Cancer Council WA, Headwest and the Australasian Society for the Study of Brain Impairment.
ICCWA World cafe Falls prevention event moderator, October 2014.
She is strongly committed to the giving a ‘voice to’ and enabling the wellbeing of all community members through research.
- WA Age Friendly Communities Network Forum. Aug 2018. Let’s talk….Engaging Older Adults in Conversations about Falls Prevention Education. Invited speaker.
- WA Age Friendly Communities Network Forum. September 2017. Carers of persons with younger onset dementia: a social disability framework perspective. Invited speaker.
- WA Integrated Oncology Group (WACOG) Forum July 2017. The role of empowerment in the wellbeing of cancer patients. Invited speaker.
- Best paper Australian Journal of Primary Health at the national Primary Health Care Research conference, Sydney, July 2013.
- Australian Aged Care Standards Accreditation Agency national award for (category) Innovation 2012. 'Sound therapy to ease agitation in persons with dementia in a residential aged care setting' in conjunction with the Brightwater Care Group.
- Research Funding Scheme, University of Notre Dame Australia (internal) 2018. Dr Jacqui Francis Coad, Adj. Professor Anne Marie Hill, Assoc Professor Caroline Bulsara, Assoc Professor Tessa Watts, Michelle Anderson. Reducing falls in residential aged care homes. $17,190.
- WAHTN Research translation grant 2018. Health service use for people with disability living in supported accommodation - an intervention to improve health literacy in disability service organisations. Skoss R, Bulsara C, Codde J. $251,620. Successful.
- NHMRC Partnership Grant 2017. Familial Hypercholesterolaemia study among primary care practices in WA. Brett T, Arnold Reed D, Successful.
- Professor Christobel Saunders, Professor Matthew Bellgard, Associate Professor Caroline Bulsara, Professor Max Bulsara, Professor Jim Codde, Ms Angela Ives, Dr Claire Johnson, Ms Anne McKenzie, Professor David Preen, Dr Neli Slavova-Azmanova, Dr Nikolajs Zeps 2017, 'Continuous Improvement in Care – Cancer (The ‘CIC’ Cancer Project)', Cancer Research Trust. Patients First: the Continuous Improvement in Care – Cancer (The CIC Cancer Project), $5 million. Successful.
- QEII Seed funding grant (2016) with Murdoch University. Cancer patients’ experience and outcomes related to complementary health choices: A feasibility study. $67,299. CI Prof Anne Williams, Assoc Prof Caroline Bulsara, Dr David Joske. Successful.
- Research Incentive Scheme 2016 University of Notre Dame. A feasibility pilot study in the use of anal plugs amongst survivors of severe stroke’. $4,600. Successful.
- Research Incentive Scheme 2016 University of Notre Dame. ‘Addressing the needs of severe stroke survivors and their carers: what it means for health professionals’. $4,600. Successful.
- 2016 SANOFI Familial Hypercholesterolaemia study among primary care practices in WA. $202,000. Co-investigator. Brett T, Arnold Reed D, Bulsara C, Garton Smith, Troeung L. Successful.
- 2014 APHCRI grant, ‘A proof of concept study to identify familial hypercholesterolaemia in primary care’ $49,948. Co-Investigator qualitative grant component. Successful.
- 2013 NHMRC partnership grant ‘Dealing with Cognitive and Associated Functional Decline In The Elderly’. $5m for five years. C. Bulsara lead investigator in workforce stream, ‘Evaluating an Interprofessional education program within an aged care facility’. Co-investigator on Activity ‘Caregivers of persons with younger onset dementia’.
- 2012 HACC non recurrent funding stream (research). To develop a standardised assessment measure for slow stream rehabilitation of persons with an acquired brain injury. ‘How effective is the wellness approach to improving quality of life as well as health and functional status?’ $24,640.
- Department of Health (Commonwealth DoHA) national partnership with the University of South Australia. CI Professor Barbara Pocock, University of SA. Better jobs, Better care project. $450,000.
- CRN University of Notre Dame. ‘Healthy ageing across the Western Australian community’. 2013. Dr Anne Marie Hill, School of Health Sciences.
Chief Investigator (CI 2) on ARC Linkage grant for 2012-2014. $243,708.
- Developing the process of consent to donate tissue for research purposes. Anne Williams, Caroline Bulsara, Nik Zeps, Judy Allen, Leanne Monterosso.
Chief Investigator (CI 2) on BUPA project grant for 2011-2012. $337,651.
- Improving patient navigation through interdisciplinary specialist teams and referral pathways in cancer treatment. CIs Diane Arnold Reed, Caroline Bulsara, Tom Brett (Notre Dame University, Fremantle). Chief Investigator (CI 4) on NHMRC Project grant. $124, 395 for 2011 - 2012.
- CIs Diane Arnold Reed, Tom Brett, Donna Mak, Caroline Bulsara. Evaluating a model of care for contact tracing in a primary health care setting.
Chief Investigator (CI 1) on NHMRC partnership grant. $152,985 for 2011-12.
- Creating opportunities for community inclusivity amongst those affected by acquired brain injury.
CI 1 on Rotary Mental health grant application. $64,500 for 2011.
- Addressing psychosocial issues for those impacted upon by acquired brain injury (ABI) and their families.
Prospective Post-doctoral Fellow on ARC Linkage grant for 2011.
- Further Development of an Approach to Evaluate the Key Psychosocial Therapeutic Elements Associated with the Experience of Cancer Patients. CIs Anne Williams, Caroline Bulsara, Anna Nowak, Leanne Lester.
- Australian Primary Care Partnership ‘Ten Tips for a Better and Safer Residential Aged Care Research and Resource Project’ March 2005.
- RACGP Informatics Scholarship with Perth & Hills Division of General Practice.
- Developing and validating a quality improvement model for an electronic register of people with diabetes in a General Practice setting. May 2005 for 2006. Successful $30,000.
- 2004 NHMRC Grant. A randomised control trial of a cancer shared care model.
CIs: Joske D, Ward AM, Saunders C, Pritchard D. AIs: De Klerk N, Hendrie D,
Joseph D, Russell G, Bulsara C. $254,850.
- 2005 Australian Football League Research Program. Factors impacting on medical coverage for state league football competitions and succession planning for AFL medical officers. C. Bulsara. Lawrence, C. $17,500.
- 2005 Lotteries Commission grant. Evaluation component of the Family and Domestic Violence early intervention strategy in general practice for Canning Division of General Practice Bulsara, C. ($8,000).
- RACGP Informatics Scholarship with Perth & Hills Division of General Practice.
- Developing and validating a quality improvement model for an electronic register
of people with diabetes in a General Practice setting. May 2005 for 2006. $30,000.
- 2009 The Slater & Gordon Vojakovic Research Fund. An exploratory study of the quality of life issues amongst pleural plaques patients. $6,000.
Advisory and Collaborative Work
- Evaluation consultant to the Black Dog Youth Mental Health project WA. WAAMH and Black Dog Institute. 2011.
- Centre for Primary Health Care and Equity, the University of New South Wales.
Advisory and collaborative in the area of consumer and community participatory research and multicultural studies.
- WA Psycho Oncology Service (WAPOS). Evaluation and report writing for WAPOS Service 2010 with the WA Cancer and Palliative Care Network (Curtin ECU collaborative).
- Williams AM, Allen J, Zeps N, Pienaar C, Bulsara C, Monterosso L. (2013). Biobanking: Developing the Process of Consent to Donate Tissue for Research Purposes. School of Nursing and Midwifery, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, WA.
- Bulsara CE, Cuesta Briand B, Moorin R, McKenzie A. Evaluation of the costs, availability and accessibility of care in Western Australia for those with catastrophic injury. ISBN 978-1-74052-202-1. Commissioned work for the Insurance Commission of Western Australia.
- Bulsara, C. Carers WA Report into GP carer awareness. 54.
- Caroline Bulsara (1999) "A snapshot of Carers In WA" Carers Association of WA ISBN 0-646-37116-9