Program Co-ordinator: Media & Communications, Discipline Head and Senior Lecturer: Film and Screen Production
MA, B.Media (Hons), GCUT
Phone: 02 8204 4113
Marco is an award winning filmmaker and screenwriter and his work has screened at festivals around the world as well as on television in Australia. Marco was awarded a Master of Arts from the Australian Film Television and Radio School and has been teaching in the Film and Screen program at the University of Notre Dame, Sydney since its foundation year and was awarded the Vice Chancellor’s Award for teaching excellence in 2015.
- Film and Screen Production
- Documentary Studies
Research interests and current projects
Marco is currently completing a Screenwriting Practice Research PhD investigating the structuring of long form screenplays and the nature of change in the television drama protagonist. The creative component of the PhD is the creation of a screenplay and development documents for an original television drama series.
In addition to this, Marco has a number of television drama series and feature film screenplays in development.
Alongside creative works and industry engagement, in the Screenwriting Practice Reaserch scholarly space Marco is currently collaborating with Professor Craig Batty on a number of research projects, including an article on 'Seriality in Contemporary Television Screenwriting', and will be presenting these findings at the Screenwriting Research Network Conference at Oxford in 2020.
Journal articles and proceedings
- M. Ianniello, (2019) “The Leftovers (Reheated): The Layering of Story and Character Archetypes in the Television Drama Series: The Leftovers.", Comunicazioni Sociali - Journal of Media, Performing Arts and Cultural Studies
- "From a classroom to Galway to Graceland: reflections on writing a feature film screenplay motivated by designing a Masters’ screenwriting course," Australian Association of Writers Programs Conference, UTS Australia, 25-27 November 2019.
- "The Leftovers (Reheated): The Layering of Story and Character Archetypes in the Television Drama Series: The Leftovers," Writing for Cinema, Writing for Television, 11th International Conference of the Screenwriting Research Network (SRN), Universita Cattolica del Sacre Cuore, Milan, Italy, 11-15 September , 2018.
- “Expanding knowledge, expanding practice: Screenwriting transitions” Group Paper: with Professor Craig Batty, UTS Philippa Burne, VCA/RMIT and Stefanie Johnston, RMIT/UTS) Writing for Cinema, Writing for Television, 11th International Conference of the Screenwriting Research Network (SRN) Universita Cattolica del Sacre Cuore, Milan, Italy, 11-15 September , 2018.
Recorded or rendered works
Blind Sight - Revisited (Documentary, 2013, Documentary Australia Foundation)
Hush (Short Film, Drama, 2011)
Blind Sight (Documentary, 2010)
Playing in the Shadows (Documentary, 2008, ABC/Screen Australia)
The Graeme Bell All Star: Play On (Documentary, 2006, ABC)
Sentences (Documentary, 2005, ABC)
Australian Directors Guild
Australian Writer's Guild
Original creative works
- M. Ianniello & H. Ianniello (2015). “Day’s End: Higher Ground” (Television Pilot Screenplay)
- M. Ianniello (2015). “Charlie The Chaplin” (Short Screenplay)
- Hush (Short Screenplay, 2011)
Funding and Awards
- Austin Film Festival Screenwriting Competition (USA) 2017: Top 10% Best Short Screenplay. "Charlie The Chaplain"
- Blue Cat Screenwriting Competition (USA) 2016. Semi Finalist, Best Short Screenplay. "Charlie The Chaplain"
- Austin Film Festival Screenwriting Competition 2016: Top 10% (Second Round) Best Television Pilot: 1 Hour Drama. "Day's End: Higher Ground".
- Vice Chancellor's Award for Initiatives that Enhance Student Learning
- Hush "Best Short Screenplay" West Field Screenwriting Awards (USA, 2013)
- Playing in the Shadows "Best Feature Documentary" Inside Film Awards, (2008, Nominee)
- Sentences, Inside Film Awards, "Best Short Documentary" Inside Film Awards (2005 - Winner)