Dr Shannon Kennedy-Clark
PhD, MA Applied Linguistics, Grad Certificate Management, BA/BEd
Phone: (02) 8204 4166
Shannon is a Senior Lecturer in Education and the Secondary Course Coordinator at the University of Notre Dame Sydney Campus.
Prior to her Notre Dame appointment, she was the Head of Learning and Teaching at Australian Film Television and Radio School. She was previously a Senior Lecturer, Academic Development, in Learning and Teaching at Australian Catholic University. Shannon has held a number of academic positions at universities and education institutions both in Australia and overseas. Shannon has taught across the education sector and has enjoyed teaching students from primary school age to retirement.
Her teaching areas include education and pedagogy, research strategies, ICT in education, and academic literacy. Shannon is an active educational researcher, and she has worked independently and in collaboration with both Australian and international colleagues on a wide variety of educational research projects. Current research activities comprise the analysis of individual and group problem solving with computer supported-learning, design-based learning and long-term design projects, pre-service teacher development, measuring creativity in assessment, and academic literacy. She has an interest in social media and is currently investigating trolling and collaboration.
Technology in education, teaching methods, academic literacy, English as another language (EAL/D, ESL), creating positive learning environments
Research Expertise and Supervision
ICT in Education
Research Methods in Higher Degree Research
Pre-Service Teacher Education
Kennedy-Clark, S., Wheeler, P., Eddles-Hirsch, K., Galstaun, V., Cram, A., & Mourad, A. (Forthcoming). Digital Creativity and Creative Pedagogies in Education. Open Book Publishers, UK
Kennedy-Clark, S., Everett, K., & Wheeler, P. (Eds) (2014). Cases on Assessment in Virtual Worlds and Game-based Environments in Higher Education. Pennsylvania: IGI-Global.
Kennedy-Clark, S. (2012). Embedding Academic Literacy into First Year Units of Study, Australian Catholic University: North Sydney. ISBN 978-0-9807709-4-0
Kennedy-Clark, S. & Wheeler, P. (2014). Using Discourse Analysis to Assess Student Problem Solving Success in a Multi-User Virtual Environment. In S Kennedy-Clark, K. Everett, & P. Wheeler Eds). Using Discourse Analysis to Assess Student Problem Solving Success in a Multi-User Virtual Environment. Pennsylvania: IGI-Global.
Kennedy-Clark, S. (2014). Functional creativity: Assessing creative design in virtual spaces. In S Kennedy-Clark, K. Everett, & P. Wheeler Eds). Using Discourse Analysis to Assess Student Problem Solving Success in a Multi-User Virtual Environment. Pennsylvania: IGI-Global.
Kennedy-Clark, S., & Thompson, K. (2013). Collaborative process analysis coding scheme (CPACS): Examining the macro- and micro- level of students' discourse in a virtual world’. In H.L Lim & F. Sudweeks (Eds), Innovative Methods and Technologies for Electronic Discourse Analysis. Pennsylvania: IGI-Global.
Kennedy-Clark, S., Galstaun, V., & Anderson, K. (2013). Death in Rome: Using an Online Game for Inquiry-Based Learning in a Pre-Service Teacher Training Course. In Y. Baek, & N. Whitton (Eds.), Cases on Digital Game-Based Learning: Methods, Models, and Strategies (pp. 364-382).
Kennedy-Clark, S., and Thompson, K. (2013) A MUVEing Success: Design strategies for professional development in the use of multi-user virtual environments and educational games in science education, in D’Agustino, S. (ed) Immersive Environments, Augmented Realities and Virtual Worlds: Assessing future trends in education. Pennsylvania: IGI-Global (pp.16-41).
Journal Articles and Proceedings
Thompson, K., Kennedy-Clark, S., Wheeler, P., & Kelly, N. (2014). Adding to the Multi-Modal Toolkit for Electronic Discourse Analysis: Using ‘tense’ to identify patterns of action, rule determination and reporting in a virtual world. British Journal of Educational Technology, 45(3), 461-470.
Kennedy-Clark, S. (2013). Cycles and Phases: Design Research and the Higher Degree Research Student. International Journal of Learning Design.
Kennedy-Clark, S. & Thompson, K. (2013). Between the lines: The use of discourse analysis in a virtual inquiry to inform learning design, International Journal of Virtual and Personal Learning Environments.
Kennedy-Clark, S. & Wheeler, P. (Eds) (2012). 2nd ACU Learning and Teaching Conference, Engaging Students, Australian Catholic University, Sydney, July 27. ISBN (USB): 978-1-922097-06-4
Kennedy-Clark, S. & Thomson, K. (2011). Using game-based inquiry learning in the study of disease epidemics. Journal of Virtual Worlds Research: History and Heritage in Virtual Worlds, 6(6), 1–25.
Kennedy-Clark, S. (2011) Pre-service Teachers’ Perspectives on using Scenario-Based Virtual Worlds in Science Education, Computers and Education Vol. 57, pp.2224-2235
Kennedy-Clark, S. (2008) Managing Online Academic Support Consultations: Best Practice and Viability, International Journal of Learning, Vol. 14 (12) pp.83-90.
- Kennedy-Clark, S. & Wheeler (2014). Reconsidering the Collaborative Investigation Design Evaluation and Revision (CIDER) Model in Online Learning. Ascilite, Sydney.
- Galstaun, V., Kennedy-Clark, S. & Anderson, K. (2014). Patterns of Collaboration in a Pre-Service Teacher Learn-Technology-by-Design Project. 12th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Education. Hawaii.
- Thompson, K., Kennedy-Clark, S., Kelly, N. & Wheeler, P. (2013). Using automated and fine-grained analysis of pronoun use as indicators of progress in an online collaborative project. CSCL 2013
- Kennedy-Clark, S. (2012). Design Research and the Solo Higher Degree Research Student: Strategies to embed trustworthiness and validity into the research design. AARE-APERA, Sydney, 2 - 6 December.
- Anderson, K., Kennedy-Clark, S., & Galstaun, V. (2012).Using Video-Feedback and Annotations to develop ICT Competency in Pre-service Teacher Education. AARE-APERA, Sydney, 2 - 6 December.
- Galstaun, V., Kennedy-Clark, S., Anderson, K. (2012). Using TPACK to inform curriculum redesign in pre-service teacher education courses. Australian Computers in Education Conference. Wesley College, South Perth. October 2 - 5.
- Kennedy-Clark., S. & Thompson, K., (2012). Methods of analysis for identifying patterns of problem solving processes in a computer-supported collaborative environment. International Conference of the Learning Science, Sydney, July 2 – 6.
- Kennedy-Clark, S., Galstaun, V., Parisio, M., & Anderson, K. (2012), Learning by Collaborative Design and Evaluation. International Conference of the Learning Sciences. Sydney, July 2 - 6.
- Kennedy-Clark, S. (2011). The impact of using TPACK on pre-service teachers' attitudes to using game-based learning in science education. In Changing Demands, Changing Directions. Ascilite, Hobart, 4-7 December.
- Anderson, K., Kennedy-Clark, S., Sutherland, L., & Fyfe (Galstaun), V. (2011). iSCIENCE: A Computer-Supported Collaborative Inquiry Learning Project for Science Students In Secondary and Tertiary Science Education. In M. Sharma, A. Yeung, T. Jenkins, E. Johnson, G. Rayner & J. West (Eds.), Proceedings of the Australian Conference on Science and Mathematics Education 2011 (pp. 49-53). Melbourne, Australia (28 - 30 September 2011).
- Galstaun, V., Kennedy-Clark, S, & Hu, C. (2011). The Impact of TPACK on Pre-Service Teacher Confidence in Embedding ICT into the Curriculum Areas. In ED-MEDIA 2011 World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications, Lisbon, June 27 – 4 July
- Kennedy-Clark, S., Thompson, K., & Richards, D. (2011). Collaborative Problem Solving Processes in a Scenario-Based Multi-User Environment. In 9th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning. CSCL2011: Connecting computer supported collaborative learning to policy and practice. Hong Kong, July 4 - 8.
- Kennedy-Clark, S. & Thompson, K. (2011). Patterns of Collaborative Convergence in a Scenario-Based Multi-User Virtual Environment. In 9th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning.CSCL2011: Connecting computer supported collaborative learning to policy and practice. Hong Kong, July 4 - 8.
- Thompson, K., Kennedy-Clark, S., Markauskaite, L., & Southavilay, V. (2011). Capturing and analysing the processes and patterns of learning in collaborative learning environments. In 9th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning.CSCL2011: Connecting computer supported collaborative learning to policy and practice. Hong Kong, July 4 - 8.
- Kennedy-Clark, S. & Reimann, P. (2010). Scenario-based MUVEs in the science classroom: Pre-service teachers' perspectives. In The 18th International Conference on Computers in Education, ICCE (pp. 166–170). Malaysia, 29 Nov - 3 Dec 2010.
- Kennedy-Clark, S., Jacobson, M. J. & Reimann, P. (2010). Scenario-based multi-user virtual environments: Productive failure and the impact of structure on learning. In Sustaining TEL: From innovation to learning and practice. EC-TEL (pp. 402–407). Barcelona, Spain, 28 Sep - 1 Oct 2010.
- Tanti, M. & Kennedy-Clark, S. (2010). MUVEing slowly: Applying slow pedagogy to a scenario-based virtual environment. In Curriculum, Technology & Transformations for an Unknown Future. Ascilite (pp. 963–967). Sydney, 5 - 8 Dec 2010.
- Kennedy-Clark, S. (2010). Slow MUVEing: Inquiry learning in a scenario-based multi-user virtual environment. In Instructional Design for motivated and competent learning in a digital world, EARLI Sig 6 and Sig 7 (pp. 23–25). Ulm, Germany, 30 Aug - 1 Sep 2010.
- Gregory, S., Lee, M., Ellis, A., Gregory, B., Wood, D., Hillier, M., Campbell, M., Grenfell, J., Pace, S., Farley, H., Thomas, A., Cram, A., Sinnappan, S., Smith, K., Hay, L., Kennedy-Clark, S., Warren, I., Crave, D., Dreher, H. & McKeown, L. (2010). Australian higher education institutions transforming the future of teaching and learning through virtual worlds. In M. Keppell & C. Steel, Curriculum, technology & transformation for an unknown future ASCILITE 2010 (pp. 399–415). Brighton Le Sands, 5 - 8 December 2010.
- Kennedy-Clark, S. (2010). Pre-service teachers' perspectives on using scenario-based MUVEs in science education. In M. Keppell & C. Steel, Curriculum, Technology & Transformations for an Unknown Future. Ascilite (pp. 497–507). Sydney, 5 - 8 Dec 2010.
- Jacobson, M.J., Richards, D., Kennedy-Clark, S., Thompson, K., Hu, C., Taylor, C., Taylor, M., & Kartiko, I. (2010). Scenario-based multi-user virtual environments for science inquiry. In Sharma (Ed) Creating Active minds in our Science and Mathematics students. Uniserve (pp. 47–52). Sydney, 29 Sep - 1 Oct 2010.
- Jacobson, M.J., Howard, S.K., Hu, C. & Kennedy-Clark, S. (2010). Failure and success in sequences of model-based learning: Perspectives from students and preservice teachers. In Understanding Complex Ecologies in a Changing World (AERA). Denver, USA, 30 Apr 2010.
- Kennedy-Clark, S., Jacobson, M. J. & Reimann, P. (2009). Productive failure in inquiry learning in a multi-user virtual environment. In Same places, different spaces. Proceedings Ascilite (pp. 525–527). Auckland, 6 - 9 Dec 2009.
- Kennedy-Clark, S. (2009). Designing failure to encourage success: Productive failure in a multi-user virtual environment to solve complex problems. In EC-TEL (pp. 609–614). Nice, France, 29 Sep - 2 Oct 2009.
American Research in Education Association (AREA)
Australian Association of Research in Education (AARE)
International Society of the Learning Sciences (ICLS)
DeHub: Virtual Worlds Working Group
Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Environments (ASCILITE)
Australian College of Teachers
AARE Conference 2012, Postgraduate Workshop Committee
2nd ACU Learning and Teaching Conference 2012, Proceedings Editor and Conference Coordinator
Journal of Instructional Science Journal Reviewer
Computers and Education Journal Reviewer
Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL) Conference Reviewer
Higher Education Journal Reviewer
British Journal of Educational Technology Journal Reviewer
ASCILITE Conference, Conference Reviewer
AARE Conference, Conference Reviewer
De-Hub Distance Education Conference, Conference Reviewer
HICSS Annual Hawaii International Conference, Conference Reviewer
ASCILITE Campus Representative
International Journal of Learning, Vol. 14 (12) 2008, Guest editor2011 University of Technology Learning and Teaching Citation
2010 ASCILITE Community Mentor Program
2010 Postgraduate Research Support Scheme Grant
2009 Postgraduate Research Support Scheme Grant
2008 APAI Postgraduate Scholarship holder