Dr Thuan Thai
PhD, GDipEd, GCRM&C, BMedSci
Acting Assistant Dean
Phone: (02) 8204 4620
Dr Thuan Thai is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Education, University of Notre Dame Australia, where he teaches mathematics and science pedagogy in both primary and secondary education programs. Thuan has taught at universities, pre-university foundation programs and high schools. Thuan has more than 15 years of experience as an education consultant, advising on mathematics curriculum and design for private colleges, and technology implementation projects in high school and universities. Prior to becoming a teacher educator, Thuan was a heart researcher for more than 10 years, and was a Lecturer in pathology at UNSW Australia.
- Mathematics education (early childhood, primary and secondary)
- Science education
- Educational technology
Research Expertise and Supervision
Thuan leads a number of research projects to investigate the use of technology to track and assess student learning and performance. Thuan also has an on-going collaborative research relationship with the Faculty of Medicine at UNSW.
- Online resources to improve mathematics education
- Program-wide implementation of ePortfolios to build and recognise graduate professional skills and identity (in collaboration with UNSW)
- Polly, P., Vickery, R., Thai, T., Yang, J.L., Fath, T., Herbert, C., Jones, N., Lewis, T., Pather, N., Schibeci, S., & Cox, J. (2017). ePortfolios, Assessment and Professional Skills in the Medical Sciences. In J. Rowley (Ed.), ePortfolios in Australian Universities (pp. 47-64). Springer Publishing.
- Thai, T. & Polly, P. (2016). Exploring the usefulness of adaptive eLearning laboratory environments in teaching medical science. In S. El Atia, D. Ipperciel, & O. R. Zaiane (Eds.), Data mining and learning analytics: Applications in educational research. John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Polly, P., Cox, J., Coleman, K., Yang, J.L., & Thai, T. (2015). Creative teaching, learning and assessment: Using ePortfolios to develop scientists beyond just knowing their own discipline content. In K. Coleman & A. Flood (Eds.), Capturing creativity through creative teaching (ISBN 9781612296364). US: Common Ground Publishing Pty Ltd.
Journal Articles and Proceedings
- Naumann, F., Yang, J.L., Thai, T., Ford, C., & Polly, P. (2016). Virtual patient consultations and the use of ePortfolio assessment to support student learning of integrated professional skills. Focus on Health Professional Education. ISSN 2204-7662.
- Thoms, J., Knezevic, K., Liu, J., Glaros, E., Thai, T., Qiao, Q., Huang, J., Papathanasiou, P., Tunningley, R., Whittle, B., Yeung, A., Chandrakanthan, V., Wong, J., Ward, R., Thomas, S.R., Pimanda, P. (2016). Arrested Hematopoiesis and Vascular Relaxation Defects in Mice with a Mutation in DHFR. Molecular and Cellular Biology.
- Bartolo, B.D., Cartland, S., Prado-Lourenco, L., Griffith, T., Gentile, C., Ravindran, J., Azahri, S.N.M.D., Thai, T., Yeung, A., Thomas, S. & Kavurma, M. (2016). TRAIL promotes angiogenesis and ischemia-induced neovascularisation via NOX4 and nitric oxide-dependent mechanisms. Journal of the American Heart Association.
- Nasrallah, R., Knezevic, K., Thai, T., Thomas, S.R., Göttgens, B., Lacaud, G., Kouskoff, V. & Pimanda, J.E. (2015). Endoglin potentiates nitric oxide synthesis to enhance definitive hematopoiesis. Biology Open, 4(7), 819-829.
- Stapelberg, M., Zobalova, R., Nguyen, M.N., Walker, T., Stantic, M., Goodwin, J., Pasdar, E.A., Thai, T., Prokopova, K., Yan, B., Hall, S., de Pennington, N., Thomas, S.R., Grant, G., Stursa, J., Bajzikova, M., Meedeniya, A.C.B., Truksa, J., Ralph, S.J., Ansorge, O., Dong, L.F. & Neuzil, J. (2014). Indoleamine-2,3- dioxygenase elevated in tumor-initiating cells is suppressed by mitocans. Free Radical Biology & Medicine 67, 41-50.
- Polly, P., Thai, T., Flood, A., Coleman, K., Das, M., Yang, J.L., & Cox, J. (2013). Enhancement of scientific research and communication skills using assessment and ePortfolio in a third year Pathology course. In Proceedings ASCILITE.
- Coleman, K., Cox, J., Das, M., Flood, A., Polly, P., Thai, T., & Yang, J.L. (2012). ePortfolios in the Sciences: The role of reflection as students build professional skills and career readiness. In M. Brown, M. Hartnett & T. Stewart (Eds.), Future challenges, sustainable futures. Proceedings ASCILITE Wellington 2012, (p. 219-222).
- Rees, M.D., Dang, L., Thai, T., Owen, D.M., Malle, E. & Thomas, S.R. (2012). Targeted subendothelial matrix oxidation by myeloperoxidase triggers myosin II-dependent de-adhesion and alters signaling in endothelial cells. Free Radical Biology & Medicine 53, 2344-2356.
- Polly, P., Lutze-Mann, L., Thai, T., Gamachchige, N. W., & Maguire, D. (2015). Western blotting virtual laboratory. ISSOTL 2015 (online abstract). http://www.issotl2015.com.au/downloads/ISSOTL%202015%20Program%20Book%20WEB.PDF.
- Polly, P., Thai, T., Yang, J.L, & Coleman, K. (2015). The Portfolio Journey from Implementation to Employability. 2015 Annual Meeting of AAEEBL: Moving Beyond “One-Size-Fits-All” by Targeting Three Strategic and Transformative Approaches: Evidence-Based Learning; Personalized Learning and Holistic Outcomes Assessment. Hynes Convention Center, Boston, MA.
- Polly, P., Thai, T., Flood, A., Coleman, K., Das, M., Yang, J.L, Cox, J. (2013). ePortfolios for professional skills building and career preparedness in the medical sciences. AARE 2013 (abstract online). http://www.aare.edu.au/publications-database.php/8215/eportfolios-for-professional-skills-building-and- career-preparedness-in-the-medical-sciences
- Polly, P., Thai, T., Flood, A., Coleman, K., Das, M., Yang, J.L., & Cox, J. (2013). Enhancement of scientific research and communication skills using assessment and ePortfolio in a third year Pathology course. In H. Carter & P. Betts (Eds.), Electric dreams. 30th ASCILITE conference handbook (ISBN 978-1-74138-404-8), Macquarie University 2013, (p. 78).
- Thai, T., Rees, M., Dang, L., Harwood, D.T., Winterbourn, C.C., Kettle, A.J., Maghzal, G.J., Rodgers, K.J., Stocker, R., Keaney, J.F. Jr., & Thomas, S.R. (2009). Myeloperoxidase and endothelial dysfunction. Journal of Vascular Research 46, 10-10.
Visiting Research Fellow at UNSW
Member of Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia
Director of Consulting Education at 180 Degrees Consulting (2016)
Mathematics teacher at South Sydney High School (2015)
Mathematics teacher at Patrician Brothers College Fairfield (2013)
Management consultant for Meals on Wheels Australia (2013)
- $5,000 – [CI.3] MENSA Richard Johns Research Grant (2016): Exceptional learners in university studies.
- $2,500 – [CI.1] UNDA School of Education Grant (2016): Evaluating data from the education students literacy and numeracy practice site.
- $20,000 – [CI.3] UNSW Learning and Teaching Innovation Grant (2015): Assessment, analytics and personalised feedback for building undergraduate technical and analytical skills using virtual laboratories.
- $25,000 – [CI.3] UNSW Learning and Teaching Innovation Grant (2014): Virtual laboratories for program-wide use in developing analytical skills for medicine and science students.
- $25,000 – [CI.8] UNSW Learning and Teaching Innovation Grant (2014): Aligning assessment to track development of graduate capabilities, professional skills and life-long learning in the biomedical sciences.
- $25,000 – [CI.2] UNSW Learning and Teaching Innovation Grant (2014): Improving student competency in laboratory- based mathematical skills.
- $10,000 – Commercialisation Training Scheme (2010).
- $91,000 – Centre for Vascular Research PhD Scholarship (2009).