BA (Honours), LLB, LLM, MIns&RiskMgt
Adjunct Associate Professor
Mark is a partner in the Australian law firm of Sparke Helmore, one of the leading insurance law firms in the country. The firm was awarded Insurance Specialist Firm of the Year in the 2013 ALB Australasian Law Awards and for several years has been a finalist in the Australia & New Zealand Institute of Insurance & Finance (ANZIIF) awards.
With more than 23 years’ experience in the areas of professional indemnity litigation, directors’ and officers’ claims, financial lines litigation, clinical negligence and all aspects of reinsurance practice, Mark is recognised as a leader in his field.
Mark most recently has undertaken a Master of Philosophy in Law and Philosophy at the University of Notre Dame.
- Insurance Law
- Professional Indemnity insurance. Mark runs the national ANZIIF course Understanding Professional Indemnity Insurance and the two master classes of Advanced Professional Indemnity Claims and Advanced Directors’ & Officers’ Claims
- Contracts and Torts
Research Expertise and Supervision
Journal Articles and Proceedings
- “Revisiting the duty of medical practitioners to rescue” published in Australian Civil Liability, March 2015;
- “The duty to warn of a material risk: why you should “sweat” it — Marocz v Marshman” published in Australian Civil Liability, June 2015;
- “Wei Fan v South Eastern Sydney Local Health District (No 2)” published in Australian Civil Liability, October 2015;
- “The Ethics of Helping Yourself” – presentation in South Africa as part of the Ethics 4 All conference series, November 2015;
- “International Experience in Legal Reform” – presentation in South Africa as part of the Ethics 4 All conference series, November 2015;
- “The Faults of No-fault Compensation Schemes: a personal reflection” discussion paper, March 2016;
- Member of the Executive, Reinsurance Discussion Group NSW
- Chairman and Director of Lloyd’s Australia
- ANZIIF (Fellow) Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance
- CIP Certified Insurance Professionals
- AILA- Australian Insurance Law Association
- APIG- Australian Professional Indemnity Group Inc
- Law Society of NSW