Mr Francisco Esparraga
BJuris (UNSW) LLB (UNSW) LLM (USyd)
Phone: (02) 8204 4309
Francisco migrated to Australia from Sevilla, Spain as a young child and is still fluent in the Spanish language. He undertook his undergraduate degrees at the University of New South Wales and his postgraduate studies at the University of Sydney.
In his early legal career, he worked at the Privacy Committee within the Attorney-General’s Department of NSW; SBS Television and the Department of Territories and Local Government in Canberra. On returning to Sydney, he spent many years in the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and several years at the Independent Commission Against Corruption.
In more recent years, he has worked in private practice; been a part-time Member of the Consumer Trader Tenancy Tribunal; lectured at all of the Law Schools in Sydney, as well as working for the Legal Practitioners’ Admission Board and the College of Law.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Legal Research & Writing
Previously - Contracts; Evidence; Corporations; Law & Medicine
Research expertise and supervision
Comparative Law, particularly Chinese Administrative Law
European Community Law
Frank has commenced his PhD in this area and his next book will be titled "Teaching Legal Ethics".
- The Administrative Law textbook had a 2nd edition published in 2015
- What is described as Teaching Legal Ethics should be described as Ethical Legal Practice and Professional Conduct published in 2019
- El Control De La Colaboración Privada en La Gestión De Los Servicios Urbanos Del Agua published in 2019
Journal articles and proceedings
- "Procedure in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal",1992 Australian Institute of Administrative Law Forum - "Does the Public Benefit", John McMillan (ed)
- "The Administrative Review Council's Discussion Paper on Tribunals: Response of the Department of Veterans' Affairs", 1995 Australian Institute of Administrative Law Forum - "Form v Substance", Kathryn Cole (ed)
- "The Administrative Review Council's Discussion Paper on Tribunals: Response of the Department of Veterans' Affairs", February 1996, Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration
- "Developments in European Administrative Law", 1997, Australian Institute of Administrative Law Forum - "Administrative Law Under the Coalition Government", John McMillan (ed)
- Public Service Section Editor - Australian Journal of Administrative Law, (2002-2005)
- "Lawyers Failing Ethical Tests", 27 November 2011, Lawyers Weekly
- *"Drawing An Ethical Line to Combat Depression", NSW Law Society Journal,June 2013
- "Meeting Your Obligations Under Rule 42",NSW Law Society Journal ,March 2013
- "More Than Just Business", NSW Law Society Journal,November 2013
- "Overview of the Commonwealth Administrative Law System: Preliminary Issues for Consideration", 2014 Beijing Law Review 5
Presentations in Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, China, Dubai, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
2005 - Europe-Asia Conference, Praiano, Italy - "Australian Administrative Law Developments"
2005 - European Law Conference, Stratford-upon-Avon, UK - "Developments in Australian Administrative Law"
2006 - Europe-Asia Conference, Lipari, Italy - "The European Ombudsman's Role in Strengthening the Rule of Law"
2008 - CUHK & Cambridge University Joint Law Conference, Hong Kong - "Aspects of Proportionality in French Administrative Law:A Common Law Lawyer's Perspective"
2009 - International Bar Association Annual Conference Madrid, Spain - "Tilting at Windwills: Don Quijote and the Law"
2009 - Intersections of Law and Culture Conference, Lugano, Switzerland - "Australian Indigenous Peoples' Contact with the Justice System"
2009 - "Australian Administrative Law" - Universidad de Pablo Olavide, Seville, Spain
2009 - "Australian Administrative Law" - Universidad de Sevilla, Seville, Spain
2011 - Cervantes Institute Sydney, "The Spirit of Don Quijote in the Law"
2011 - International Bar Association Annual Conference, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, - "Ethics Development from Cradle to Grave"
2013 - June - Guest Lecturing at Beijing Institute of Technology; China University of Political Science; Guanghua Law School, Zhejiang University, China
2014 - July - Guest Lecturing at School of Law, Wuhan University, China
2014 - International Bar Association Annual Conference, Tokyo, Japan - "Teaching Ethics at the University of Notre Dame Australia"
2014 - International Forum on Teaching Legal Ethics and Professionalism, London, UK - "Ethics Education in Australia"
In the media
"Chinese Interest in our Administrative Law", Catholic Weekly, 13 July 2014
Founding Committee Member, NSW Chapter, Australian Institute of Administrative Law - 1989 - Ongoing
Member of Mediation Committee, International Bar Association
Member of Academic and Professional Development Committee, International Bar Association
Admitted as Barrister-at-Law, High Court of Australia, 1986
Admitted as Solicitor of Supreme Court of NSW, 1989
Australian Representative, Board of International Client Consultation Competition - 2012 - Current
Judge, VIS International Commercial Arbitration Moot - 2011 - Current
Judge, IBA-VIAC Mediation and Negotiation Competition - 2015
Judge, International Client Consultation Competition - 2011 - Current
Judge, Australian Law Students Association Competitions - 2009 - Ongoing
St Cecilia's Parish, Parents' and Friends' Committee Member, 1993 - 2000
Committee Member, Gallipoli Scholarship Fund, 1998-2001
Vice-President UNSW Law Graduates' Association, 1992-1996
Member, St Thomas More Society
Advisory Board Member, Toongabbie Legal Centre
Lecturer in Administrative Law - Law Extension Committee, University of Sydney since 2002
Guest lecturer in various Chinese and Spanish Law Schools (by invitation)
UNDA - Member, Student Affairs Committee
UNDA - Member, Law School Marketing Committee
UNDA - Former Member - Library Committee