LLB (Hons I) BBus (Dist) MLF
Nicholas Bentley's teaching and research areas include Corporate & Securities Law, Evidence & Criminal Procedure, Civil Procedure, Torts and Private International Law.
Nichoas is a barrister at New Chambers. He previously worked as a Tipstaff (Judicial Associate) in the Supreme Court of New South Wales, a Research Associate at the UTS Business School, and as a solicitor, at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP in International Arbitration and at King & Wood Mallesons and HWL Ebsworth in commercial litigation.
Nicholas studied Law and Business at the University of Technology Sydney and also holds a Masters in Law and Finance (MLF) from the University of Oxford. While at Oxford, Nicholas was Editor of the Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal (OUCLJ) and a Mini-pupil at Blackstone Chambers, Fountain Court Chambers, One Essex Court and 3 Verulam Buildings in London.
Nicholas is an author of the Wolters Kluwer Australian Company Law Commentary and the LexisNexis Australian Corporation Practice, External Administration Chapters.
- Australian Private International Law.
- Civil Practice.
- Contemporary Business Law.
- Corporate Law.
- Evidence and Criminal Procedure.
- Securities Regulation.
Research expertise and supervision
- Civil and criminal procedure in Australian courts.
- Corporate & Securities Law.
- Evidence Law.
- Private International Law / Conflict of Laws.
- The public and private enforcement of law.
- Wolters Kluwer, Australian Company Law Commentary.
- LexisNexis Australian Corporation Practice, External Administration Chapters (Chapters 23, 24, 25 and 26).
Journal Articles and Proceedings
- Leung LT, Bentley N, Producing Leisured Laborers: developing higher education courses for the digital creative industries, 7 Apr 2017, The Journal of Arts Management, Law, and Society 47(2):148-160 Taylor & Francis (Routledge)
- Bentley N, Contracts for the sale of land — When does a deposit paid via instalments constitute a penalty? 2016 Australian Property Law Journal 25:40-54 LexisNexis
- Bentley N, War on two fronts: Harmonising the public and private enforcement of Australia's corporate disclosure laws 2016 Company and Securities Law Journal 34:567-598 Thomson Reuters
- Bentley N, Ivantsoff S, Admissibility of Covertly Obtained Audio Recordings in Commercial Litigation 2014 Commercial Law Quarterly 28(1):18-22
- New South Wales Bar Association