Rachael is the CEO of Women’s Forum Australia and an Adjunct Lecturer at Notre Dame's School of Law.
Rachael began her legal career as a Legal Intern at the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (UNICTR) in Tanzania. Following this she practised as a Solicitor in Auckland, firstly in the Litigation Department at Bell Gully and then at McLeod & Associates, a boutique immigration and refugee law practice. She then commenced practise as a Barrister and tutored Medical Ethics while completing her Masters. Rachael subsequently worked as a Legal Consultant with the Law Reform Commission in Samoa, where she directed a project recommending legislative reforms to improve Samoa’s compliance with the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW).
Rachael holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from the University of Auckland and a Master of Bioethics and Health Law (Distinction) from the University of Otago. She has a particular interest in the crossover between law, ethics, health care, human rights and women's issues.
Research expertise and supervision
- Bioethics and Health Law
- Women and the Law
- Think of the Children: Sex Selection and Child Welfare (2015) 22 JLM 751
- Parental Notification for Minors Seeking an Abortion (2015) 8 NZFLJ 143
In the media
- Coronavirus and the double danger to sex workers, The Spectator, 6 Apr. 2020.
- Weinstein trial reveals Hollywood ‘capitalises on the objectification of women’, Bolt Report, 20 Feb. 2020.
- Panelist on episode discussing domestic violence and sexual abuse victims, ABC The Drum, 20 Feb. 2020.
- Panelist on episode discussing pornography, ABC The Drum, 16 Dec. 2019.
- ‘Extreme’ NSW abortion bill ignores ‘real problems women face’, Bolt Report, 21 Aug. 2019.
- Panelist on special episode discussing NSW abortion laws, ABC The Drum, 20 Aug. 2019.
- Abortion won’t stop domestic violence, The Australian, 7 Aug. 2019.
- Abortion laws: women need real support, not just false choice, Daily Telegraph, 29 Jul. 2019.
- NSW abortion laws, The Feed (SBS Viceland), 20 Jun. 2019.
- We need to address questions of gender in assisted dying, The Conversation, 25 Oct. 2017.
- A better cause than Marie Stopes, The Spectator, 29 Sep. 2017.
- South Australia must introduce Nordic Model if it wants to reform state’s sex industry, Advertiser, 2 Aug. 2017
- Abortion coercion: the NRL still has a long way to go in its treatment of women, Online Opinion, 20 Mar. 2017.
- Trump’s abortion funding ban leaves scope for real aid to poor women, ABC Religion & Ethics, 2 Feb. 2017.
- The pressure of perfection shouldn’t apply to children, Huffington Post, 1 Dec. 2016.
- Hushing up the health risks of abortion is unjust to women, ABC Religion & Ethics, 27 Oct. 2016.
- Women deserve better than the proposed abortion law reform, ABC Religion & Ethics, 23 Aug. 2016.
- Hillary Clinton is right: you can be a feminist and pro-life, ABC Religion & Ethics, 14 Apr. 2016.
- Surrogacy is exploitation – regulation will not change that, Mercatornet, 2 May 2016.
Admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
Member of the New Zealand Law Society