Professional workplace experience

Mandatory requirements for professional practice

To be eligible to attend Professional Workplace Experience, you must meet the mandatory requirements set out by both the NSW Ministry of Health and the University.

Please be aware that it can take several months to obtain the required documentation.  You are therefore encouraged to start immediately in order to meet deadlines. If mandatory requirements are not met, you will not be permitted to proceed to Professional Workplace Experience.

Refer to the Professional Workplace Experience Policy or NSW Health policies for further information.

If you have any questions, please email us on or call 02 8204 4160.

Policy and considerations

Mandatory requirements of the University

The following are required by the university:

  1. Provide First Aid Certificate and transcript
  2. Working with Children Check
  3. Pre-allocation forms
  • Statement of Attainment - Provide First Aid

    Statement of Attainment - Provide First Aid (HLTAID003 or HLTAID011) is a pre-requisite to proceed to the first Professional Workplace Experience. You are required to hold a Statement of Attainment - Provide First Aid at the commencement of the degree.

    Please note, this is not applicable to Enrolled Nurses, who will commence the degree in 2nd year, and will not require Provide First Aid.

  • Working with Children Check

    You must obtain a Working with Children check (volunteer). It can be ordered here. It is free of charge for students.

  • Pre-allocation forms

    The following forms will be available under the ‘Forms’ tab on SoNIA once you have been assigned to a placement group.

    • Coronavirus COVID-19 Student Self-Assessment Form
    • Fitness to Practice
    • Professional Workplace Experience Agreement
    • Student Undertaking form

    You must complete these forms by Friday, Week 7 of semester, in order to receive a placement allocation.

    All requirements (First Aid Certificate, Working With Children Check and Pre-allocation forms) must be uploaded through Sonia.

Requirements by NSW Ministry of Health

The following are required by the NSW Ministry of Health:

  1. Immunisation/Vaccinations
  2. Hepatitis B Vaccination Declaration form
  3. National Criminal Record Check
  4. NSW Ministry of Health Forms
  • Immunisations/Vaccinations

    You are required to show evidence of protection against infectious diseases such as dTpa, Hepatitis B, MMR, Varicella and TB (if applicable).  Students may have already received some or all vaccinations. Sources of vaccination evidence may include school programs, National Immunisation Program or privately, such as for flu or overseas travel. Students previously immunised in Australia since 1996 may also be able to download their immunisation history from the Australian Immunisation Register and Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination Against Specified Infectious Diseases Policy.

    The first step is to visit the GP and obtain a blood test (serology). Results and vaccination information must be recorded onto a Vaccination Record Card by the GP or Immunisation nurse only.

    Use the table below as a guide to completing immunisations. Vaccination Record Cards will be sent to you in your enrolment pack. You can also obtain a Vaccination Record Card from the, School of Nursing Clinical Office.


    Evidence of Vaccination 
    (Your Vaccination Record Card must be dated, signed, stamped and provide batch no. if applicable)

    Documented Serology Results 
    (Print-out of results)

    Other acceptable evidence

    Diptheria, Tetanus, Acellular Pertussis (dTpa)

    One adult dose of dTpa vaccine within the last 10 years


    Serology will not be accepted


    Hepatitis B

    History of age-appropriate hepatitis B vaccination course

    AND Anti-HBs ≥ 10mIU/mL

    OR Documented evidence of anti- HBc, indicating past hepatitis B infection, or HBsAg+

    OR Hep B Statutory Declaration^

    Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)

    2 doses of MMR vaccine at least one month apart

    OR Positive IgG for measles, mumps and rubella

    OR Birth date before 1966

    Varicella (Chickenpox)

    2 doses of varicella vaccine at least one month apart.

    OR Positive IgG for varicella



    One dose of current seasonal influenza vaccine by June 1 each year


    Serology will not be accepted


    Tuberculosis (TB)



    Tuberculin skin test (TST) Please see below to determine if you require this test.

    ^ The Hepatitis B Vaccination Declaration form to be used when a student is unable to provide evidence of Hepatitis B vaccination

    * Tuberculosis: The Tuberculin skin test (TST) is only required if you were born, or have resided in a country with a high incidence of TB for 3 months or longer. The list of high incidence countries can be found here.

    TB testing can be carried out at NSW Chest Clinics.

  • National Criminal Record Check

    You are required to obtain a National Criminal Record. The specific check is the name and date of birth check. You can apply for a National Criminal Record Check through NSW Police or an accredited organisation.

    The National Criminal Record must be current for the duration of all professional workplace experiences.

    The National Criminal Record Check is valid for five (5) years from date of issue

    Overseas students

    If you are an overseas student, you must also provide a:

    • Police Certificate (with English translation) from your home country and any country you have resided in since turning 16 years of age
    • Statutory Declaration

    If unable to provide a Police Certificate from your home country or any country you have resided in since turning 16 years of age, a Statutory Declaration must be completed. Declaration must state that you have no pending criminal charges or convictions from your home country or any country that you have resided in. If you do have such records, you must list date of any offences, the type of offence and the court outcome.

    Students with a criminal history

    If you have any criminal history or pending charges on your police check, you will be required to obtain authority to attend professional practice from HealthShare Employment Screening and Review Unit.

    You will need to apply for an assessment through HealthShare NSW Employment Screening and Review Unit.

  • NSW Ministry of Health Forms

    You must print and sign the following forms:

    Please ensure you list your university email address when completing above forms, please do not list personal emails. 

    For further information regarding NSW Ministry of Health mandatory requirements, please refer to:

    Refer to the Professional Workplace Experience Policy or NSW Health policies for further information.

    If you have any questions, please email us on or call 02 8204 4160


Uniforms can be purchased from the website below. We strongly recommend you purchase at least two uniforms as these will be worn every day during your placement.

You can choose to have your uniforms delivered via express post ($20 postage cost) or you can collect from Focus Uniforms directly.

Focus uniforms offer free delivery for orders placed by 22 March 2021. Use code ‘NDORIENTATION’ upon checkout

Please check sizing charts for measurements.

Focus Uniforms

Address: Level 1, 31 Cosgrove Road Strathfield South NSW 2136
Phone: 02 9742 5173