Information for international students

  • Accommodation

    On-Campus Accommodation

    Notre Dame Fremantle Campus Student Residences offers on-campus accommodation ideal for those who want to be part of a community, meet other students from around Australia and the world and live right in the heart of Freo’s West End. UNDA Student Residences are a safe and positive community that seek to provide an excellent level of pastoral care and help you grow and develop in all aspects of your life. Shops, cafes, restaurants, beaches and sport facilities are within walking distance or are easily accessible by public transport.

    Information on the Residential Hall Facilities and how to apply can be found at Accommodation Fremantle

    Alternatively contact the Coordinator Student Residences

    Location: Student Life ND7 - 32 Mouat Street, Fremantle Campus
    Phone: +61 8 9433 0106

    Off-Campus Accommodation

    The Student Support Officer can assist with finding accommodation for your needs, whether this is short-term or long-term accommodation. Our focus is supporting you in accessing suitable accommodation, with the convenience of public transport.

    Please direct all enquiries to the Student Support Officer

    Location: Student Services ND7 - 32 Mouat Street, Fremantle
    Phone: (+61) 8 9433 0550

    Australian Homestay Network (International students)

    Staying with an Australian Homestay Network certified Australian host provides a welcoming and safe environment for students. Homestay offers a cultural exchange between a homestay host and a visiting international student, who comes to live as a guest in their home while they are studying in Australia.

    Phone: 1300 024 628

    Study Vision Homestay (International Students)

    Experience an authentic Australian lifestyle with Study Vision’s welcoming and caring homestay families. Your host family will guide you through daily life, introduce you to local customs and cultures, and help enhance both your social and communication skills. Study Vision’s multilingual student care team is there for you 24/7.

    Phone: (+61) 02 9669 5225

    College Accommodation

    College accommodation in Australia is living at a University Campus in dorms or apartments. It can include support from college staff, and a range of services, such as, meals, internet, gymnasium, education support and social events.

    Student Co-Living Hubs

    Student co-living hubs are student accommodation designed to help achieve the perfect balance of study, social life and wellness. This accommodation includes access to meeting rooms, study zones, social spaces, and fitness clubs.

    Short-term Accommodation

    You may need to arrange temporary lodging while you’re looking for long-term accommodation. There are numerous short-term accommodation options available in Fremantle and Perth City.

    • Airbnb - an online community marketplace that connects people looking to rent their homes with people who are looking for accommodations.


    The Esplanade Hotel, Pier 21 Apartment Hotel, Quest Apartment Hotels and Be Apartments in Fremantle may offer discounted rates to visitors of the University. Please contact the hotels directly to enquire about discounted rates.


    Please note; The University of Notre Dame Australia is not affiliated with and/or in support of these hostels, nor does it take responsibility or have any association with the hostels listed.

    Crisis Accommodation

    If you find yourself without secure and safe accommodation, please contact the Student Support Officer who will guide you to the services available to assist you with finding emergency accommodation. You will be connected with services that are available in the Perth Metro area that can assist you with the following; crisis accommodation, securing stable housing, mental health support, meals, emergency funding, rental advice and applying for government housing.


    Students who choose to rent in Perth, can either rent an entire property (house) or an individual room within a share house. Rooms or properties can be furnished, partly furnished or unfurnished. When considering renting a room or property, please consider the cost of bond, weekly rent, utilities, meals, internet and moving costs before entering into a rental agreement. Renting a room usually consists of a private room with a shared bathroom and communal areas of the house. Share housing can also offer affordable accommodation, the opportunity to split the cost of utilities, build friendships and a social network.

    Renting a Room

    What exactly is it?

    Sharing a property with others

    Rooming Arrangements

    Own room or shared room. Furnished or unfurnished


    Average cost per week is $150


    4 weeks of weekly rent (in advance)

    Signed agreement/

    Review and sign a periodic or fixed term tenancy agreement prior to moving in

    Other expenses

    If bills are not included in the weekly rent, make sure to budget for the following potential utilities:

    Gas, electricity and water $35 - $140 per week to cover the cost of these utilities. If you’re splitting these costs with other renters as opposed to living alone, you can expect to pay less.

    Groceries $80+ per week

    Internet $50+ per month

    Renting a Property

    What exactly is it?

    Renting a house, townhouse, apartment, unit or granny flat. The tenancy agreement will be with either the owner of the property or a Real Estate Agent

    Rooming Arrangements

    Single or multiple rooms in property. Furnished or unfurnished


    1 bedroom $250+/week
    2 bedrooms $300+/week
    3 Bedrooms $400+/week


    4 weeks of weekly rent (in advance)

    Signed agreement/

    Review and sign a periodic or fixed term tenancy agreement prior to moving in

    Other expenses

    See ‘other expenses’ above, under renting a room

    All weekly rates are varied based upon the location, furnishings, type of accommodation and expenses included. They are intended to give you an estimate of the average costs and types of accommodation available.

    How to Find Rentals

    Search for rentals on the internet

    Accommodation Locations - Fremantle

    To assist you with your search, we have listed suburbs with distances from the University:


    Approximate Time


    Within walking distance

    5-10 Minutes



    10-20 minutes

    South/East/North Fremantle, Mosman Park, White Gum Valley, Hilton, Beaconsfield


    20-30 minutes

    Palmyra, Swanbourne, Peppermint Grove, Claremont, Spearwood, Hamilton Hill, Melville, Karrakatta, Kardinya, Subiaco


    30-40 minutes

    Cottesloe, Bicton, Murdoch


    40-50 minutes

    Perth CBD, Applecross, Nedlands, Leederville


    1 hour

    South Perth, Como, Victoria Park

    For public transport information, please visit

    Accommodation Locations - Sydney

    Suburbs close to Sydney campus

    Inner West Abbotsford, Annandale, Ashbury, Ashfield, Balmain, Balmain East, Belfield, Birchgrove, Breakfast Point, Burwood, Burwood Heights, Cabarita, Camperdown, Campsie, Canada Bay, Canterbury, Chiswick, Concord, Concord West, Croydon, Croydon Park, Drummoyne, Dulwich Hill, Enfield, Enmore, Five Dock, Forest Lodge, Glebe
    Eastern Suburbs Botany, Mascot, Kensington, Chifley, Eastlakes, Rosebery, Daceyville, Hillsdale, La Perouse, Centennial Park, Paddington, Surry Hills, Redfern, Waterloo , Darlinghurst, Moore Park, Kings Cross
    South-Eastern Suburbs Alexandria, Banksmeadow, Beaconsfield, Botany, Chifley, Coogee, Daceyville, Eastgardens, Eastlakes, Hillsdale, Kensington, Kingsford, La Perouse, Little Bay, Malabar, Maroubra, Mascot, Matraville, Pagewood, Phillip Bay, Port Botany, Randwick, Redfern, Rosebery, Waterloo, Zetland

    External Advice

    Tenancy WA
    Tenancy WA is a community legal centre specialising in residential tenancy matters. Tenancy WA provide free legal services to residential tenants across Western Australia.

    A list of helpful fact sheets about tenancy rights are available here. Visit the Tenancy WA Website for further information.

    Phone: 9221 0088 (metropolitan) 1800 621 888 (country free call)


    • Fremantle Community Legal Centre (+61) 8 9432 9790 or
    • The Government of Western Australia Consumer Protection 1300 304 054 or
    • Legal Aid WA 1300 650 579
    • Immediate Phone Interpreting 131 450 (available 24 hours within Australia)
  • Change of address

    If you have changed your address it is a condition of your student visa that you must inform Student Administration within 7 days. Please also make any updates to your address and/or phone number in Student Centre (N.B. You are required to enter a physical address, not a PO Box).

  • Complaints and grievances

    If you have a grievance you would like addressed please read the University’s Grievance Policy. If you are unable to deal with the grievance through discussion with the appropriate person you may like to discuss your options with a University Grievance Officer.

  • Fees

    Fees MUST be paid by two weeks before the commencement of semester. Payment plans will not be authorised.

    Please start to have your money transferred from your home country either to your own Australian bank account or direct to the University bank account a month or more prior to this date. Some countries are experiencing great difficulty in having money transferred out of the country. We suggest that students from such countries start to transfer their money half way through the previous semester. The Fees Office will be able to provide an invoice for you as you require it.

    Invoices: Sometimes your semester invoice may show an amount which is different to the indicative course cost shown on your original admission offer. This could be due to the following reasons:

    1. The courses you have chosen are from a more/less expensive discipline than the usual ones in your Program.
    2. Fees are usually increased each year to cover the extra cost of overhead expenses.
    3. You may be enrolled in more/less than an average full-time study load.

    Please come to the Fees Office to discuss any questions you may have or if you are experiencing difficulty with transferring your money. The Manager of the Fees Office will do everything to assist you.

  • Full-time study

    It is a condition of your student visa that you are enrolled full-time in your program, which is a Department of Home Affairs requirement. By maintaining a full time study load it is expected that you will be able to complete your program within the duration of your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).  This means that you will need to maintain enrolment to the value of 100 credit points each semester.

    There are some instances however, where you may be permitted to reduce your study load.  Situations where your study load may be modified are:

    • If an intervention Strategy of reduced study load has been implemented to help successful progression.
    • If a prerequisite course cannot be offered due to the structure of you program.
    • In compelling or compassionate circumstances (for example, a documented serious illness which has affected full-time study).
    • If it is your final semester of study (Intervention Strategy not required).

    If you are experiencing difficulties in maintaining full-time enrolment for a semester, you will need to make an appointment with your Program Coordinator to discuss the matter further and complete an Intervention Strategy.  The Intervention Strategy form must then be approved by the Campus Registrar before you can drop any of your courses.  You may be required to compensate for any partial enrolment by overloading during the summer/winter terms and/or subsequent semesters in your degree program.  Reducing your study load may result in not completing your program within the expected CoE and visa duration.  In this case you will need to apply for another CoE and visa, which will have associated costs and may have visa implications.  Student that have no formal approval to reduce their study load may have their request for a CoE document declined.

    Reducing your study load cannot be based on reasons of finances, work commitments or receiving Advanced Standing/Credit Transfer for previous study/experience gained.

    If you have any questions please email the International Officer, (Fremantle) or (Sydney).

  • Graduation

    You must apply to graduate as this is not an automatic process.  You will receive an email to your Notre Dame student email account in the first few weeks of each semester asking students to apply to graduate if they believe they will complete their studies by the end of the semester.  Students must have paid all their fees and Library fines in order to graduate.

    Please click here to go to the Graduation page for more information.

  • Fact sheet for international students

  • International Student Policy

    Please find the International Student Policy for The University of Notre Dame Australia.

  • International Student Transfer (Change of Provider)

    Please refer to the Procedure: International Student Transfer (Change of Education Provider) for the University of Notre Dame Australia.

  • Intervention strategy

    An Intervention Strategy refers to specific strategies and documentation prepared by the Dean of the student's School as a record of the academic or other assistance which has or will be offered to the student to ensure they are not at risk of continued Unsatisfactory Progress as defined by the University General Regulations, and in accordance with The National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students (National Code).

    An Intervention Strategy document may also include authorisation for a student to extend their program duration up to a specified date if appropriate and applicable, due to changes such as change of program, reduction of study load, change to program structure etc.

    It is important student visa holders understand their rights and responsibilities under the Procedure: Intervention Strategy.

  • Leave of absence

    It is a condition of your student visa that international students cannot take leave of absence from their studies unless there are documented, compassionate or compelling circumstances. If you feel this applies to you then please speak with the Campus Registrar, Student Administration, or the International Officer, Student Administration, to discuss your situation.

  • Letter of completion

    Please email the International Officer, (Fremantle) or (Sydney) to request a letter of completion. Your e-mail must come from your student e-mail account. Please specify whether your letter should show any information not included in our standard letter of completion. Our standard letter of completion includes the following information: confirmation of program requirements being met, program commencement date, program duration, attendance (full time/equivalent full time), degree conferral date, program completion date and English as Language of Instruction. You will receive a reply email with the attached letter. Please allow a minimum of 3 days for the email to be sent.

  • Overseas Health Care Cover

    Medical insurance is compulsory for International Students, while studying in Australia, regardless of home country coverage. 
    However, you do not need OSHC if you are:

    • A Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme;
    • A Swedish student covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet;
    • A Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia

    If the visa granted states that overseas medical insurance is required for compliance, then all students must have Australian overseas student health cover. Each International student will have insurance arranged by the university for the entire study period in Australia – this is known as Program Length Cover (PLC).

    Most of our students, including all newly enrolled, are covered by Bupa OSHC (, which is the university’s preferred provider. If students wish to use another provider, the student will need to speak to the International Student Officer regarding the process and options for overseas student health cover.

    Students should be aware that the Bupa OSHC policy initially purchased does not generally cover pre-existing conditions in the first year of cover and does not apply to extras such as physiotherapy, dental, optical or chiropractic cover. However, if students would like to purchase additional coverage, they need to speak to Bupa OSHC or their own insurance provider directly.

    Please be aware that it is the student’s responsibility to renew his/her cover BEFORE it expires. Renewals for students with Bupa OSHC can be arranged through the International Officer or through Bupa OSHC directly. Not having up-to-date health coverage can jepordise your access to final marks at university and also makes one non-compliant with visa regulations.

    For more information on Bupa OSHC and other OSHC providers, please visit the following websites:

    For more information, please feel free to contact the International Officer via (Fremantle) or (Sydney).

  • Plagarism

    The dictionary definition of the word ‘plagiarise’ is to:

    • take and use as one’s own, the thoughts, writings, inventions, etc., of another person; copy literary work, ideas, etc. improperly or without acknowledgement; or
    • pass off the thoughts, work, etc. of another person as one’s own.

    Plagiarism is a violation of academic integrity and, if proven, makes the student liable for disciplinary action.

    Plagiarism can include, but is not limited to:

    • plagiarism of ideas - claiming credit for someone else’s thoughts, ideas or inventions.
    • word-for-word plagiarism- copying the exact expression of someone’s writing or a very close approximation to it.
    • plagiarism of sources – using another person’s citations without acknowledging the source of the citations.
    • plagiarism of authorship – where a person claims to be the author of an entire piece of work (e.g an article, an essay, a book, a musical composition) fully or substantially authored by another.  Examples include when a student submits as their own work an essay written by someone else (such as a friend or someone who has been paid to write it).  Translating an article from another language and publishing it under one’s name, as if one had written it, is plagiarism of authorship but not word-for-word plagiarism.
    • fabrication - the falsification or invention of any information or citation in an assessment.

    To read the University's policy on plagiarism click here.

  • Student Support Officer - Student Services

    The Student Support Officer is available to provide support and assistance with anything you may require e.g. transition into university life, off-campus accommodation, orientation or any other matter you require support with. The Student Support Officer can be contacted on 08 9433 0550, at or you can visit Student Services (ND7).

  • Unsatisfactory course progress

    If you feel you do not understand the material in the units courses you are studying, the University strongly encourages you to ask your lecturer, or the International Officer, or the Student Support Officer for assistance as soon as possible. It is very important that you ask for assistance as soon as you feel you are experiencing difficulties – do not wait until the end of the Study Period. Your lecturers and the staff in your School may be able to suggest further tutoring, or a mentor, or attendance at study skills workshops, or some other form of assistance.

    If, unfortunately, you do not pass your course(s) at a satisfactory level for two consecutive Study Periods then the University may be obliged to terminate your enrolment at the University. The University is also obliged to report this to the Department of  Homes Affairs (DoHA). DoHA will expect you to attend an interview within 28 days to explain the situation. DoHA will then decide whether you must return to your home country. If this is decided by DoHA they will then impose a 3 year exclusion period during which time you will be unable to return to study in Australia.

  • Visa enquiries

    It is always best to speak to an Immigration agent with the Department of Homes Affairs (DoHA) when inquiring about specific visa requirements. The International Officer, in Student Administration, can provide basic information regarding visa requirements and compliance regulations.

    If you have specific questions, please feel free to ask the International Officer in Student Administration, or contact DoHA

    Phone number: 13 18 81

    For Student Visas or post-student visa options:

  • Visa extension

    In order to extend your visa, you will need to supply the following to the Department of  Homes Affairs (DoHA):

    1. Your Overseas Student Health Cover is current with proof of your health cover card and/or receipt of payment
    2. A medical examination in the past twelve months (some countries only);
    3. International students are required to demonstrate and/or declare that they have genuine access to sufficient funds to cover their expenses for their stay in Australia.
    4. Amended electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from the (DoHA) database which shows an extension to your completion date (provided by Student Administration, International Officer)
  • Visa for permission to work / Tax File Number

    Visa for Permission to Work

    Student visa mandatory condition 8105 requires that a student cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight when his/her program is in session (other than work which has been registered as a part of the program). A fortnight means any period of 14 days commencing on a Monday and ending at the end of the second following Sunday.

    Note: No work limits apply during recognised periods of vacation (i.e. Between Study Periods)

    A student cannot undertake work until he/she has commenced his/her program in Australia.

    Only students enrolled in a Masters by research (MPhil) or Doctoral (PhD) research programs have no work limitations. These students are permitted to work unlimited hours once they have commenced their program in Australia.

    Visit the official Australian Government website for international students working while studying in Australia and the Australian Government’s Fair Work Ombudsman’s website for further details.

    Tax File Number (TFN)

    All students who are currently working, after they have received their permission to work, have to apply for an Australian Tax File Number (TFN). A tax file number (TFN) is a unique number issued to individuals and organisations to help the Tax Office administer tax and other Australian Government systems.  It is one of the most important forms of identification in Australia. It is worth keeping secure, as this will assist in preventing identity theft
    A TFN will help you:

    • lodge a tax return
    • ask the Tax Office about your tax affairs
    • start or change jobs
    • limit the amount of tax you pay on interest or dividends earned if you have savings accounts or investments that earn income.

    Your TFN is valuable. Don’t share it with friends and don’t provide it on the internet when applying for work. Keep it secure.

    Applying for a TFN--online
    If you are a permanent migrant or temporary visitor to Australia you can apply for a TFN online after you arrive in Australia if you have a:

    1. visa that allows work rights
    2. visa that allows permanent migration
    3. valid overseas student visa, or
    4. valid visa to stay in Australia indefinitely.

    Complete the Online individual tax file number (TFN) registration.  When applying online, you do not have to physically provide proof of your identity.
    Applying for a TFN using false or other people’s identity details, or misusing your TFN, can mean heavy fines or jail. 
    If you need more information about TFNs, you can:

    • visit the Tax Office website or
    • phone 13 28 61 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.
  • Confirmation of Enrolment

    There are limited situations and circumstances in which you may be allowed to extend your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).  Such circumstances include:

    • Compassionate or compelling circumstances (eg. documented medical illness, death in the family).
    • Where a formal Intervention Strategy has been implemented for students at risk of not progressing successfully.
    • Where an approved deferment or suspension of study (Leave of Absence) has been granted.

    When you require an extension of your CoE, you will need email the International Officer, (Fremantle) or (Sydney) with your request.  You will also need to request a new CoE if:

    • You have changed your program (ie. Have transferred to a new program even if the duration of study on your visa does not change)

    You will receive a reply email with your new CoE.  Please allow a minimum of 3 working days.

    Congratulations to all our international students for accepting their place at The University of Notre Dame Australia. As per Conditions of your Letter of Offer, all international students are required to attend an International Student Orientation Program prior to commencing their studies. The session will cover important information regarding your studies at Notre Dame, as well as an overview on our student and academic support services, visa requirements, an opportunity to meet other international students and key staff members, and ask any questions you may have prior to commencing your program.

    Presentation Recorded Session