Leave of absence application

  • Leave of Absence guidelines - please read carefully

    Date of effect
    Changes will be effected from the date your form is signed by the Dean of your School (or delegate). You should ensure that the form is received before any relevant deadlines.

    All applications for leave of absence require approval by your School and for overseas students, the approval of the Registrar (or delegate). The University will notify you of any amendments to your enrolment or changes which have not been approved. Submitting a form does not guarantee approval.

    Withdrawal from courses
    If you withdraw from a course(s) after the Census Date (Financial Penalty Date) you will still be responsible for payment of the fees for that course(s) and may receive a Withdrawal with Fail (“WF”) grade if withdrawal is after the Academic Penalty Date for the course(s). It is your responsibility to ensure you have withdrawn correctly in your Student Centre and by the published withdrawal without penalty dates.

    Periods of Leave of absence and maximum duration
    A student is entitled to a maximum of four (4) study periods leave of absence from their studies at the University in accordance with General Regulations. Where a student seeks more than four (4) study periods leave, the student may be required to withdraw from the University and apply in writing to the Campus Registrar for readmission when they wish to return to their studies. Leave of absence is counted towards the maximum duration permitted for a course. You should discuss your program’s maximum duration with your Program Coordinator before you take leave.

    Extending your leave of absence or returning to studies
    It is your responsibility to inform the University of your intention to either apply for further leave from your studies or to re-enrol. If you wish to extend your leave of absence, you must complete another application for leave and submit it for approval before the end of your current period of leave; otherwise you may be recorded as absent without leave (“AWOL”). If you wish to re-enrol after your approved period of leave, you must contact your School for re-enrolment dates, requirements and deadlines

    Courses on Hold (“H”) or in progress (“IP”)
    If you take leave from your studies and have any courses/outstanding pieces of assessment on hold or in progress you are required to complete the courses and/or pieces of assessment within the timeframes permitted for results on hold or in progress (refer General Regulations). It is your responsibility to ensure you have discussed your leave and courses/assessments on hold or in progress with your Program Coordinator before you take leave. Failure to complete courses/assessments may result in a fail grade for the courses.

    Scholarship holders / external body support
    It is your responsibility to investigate the consequences that taking a Leave of Absence may have on any scholarship you hold (either from the University or from an external body), including any external bodies for example impact on Centrelink benefits.

    Overseas students
    Overseas students are not permitted to take leave from their studies unless there are exceptional circumstances (in accordance with the National Code of Practice Standard 13) which can be supported by independent documentation. If you are granted leave, the University is required to notify the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) of the changes in your enrolment. If leave of absence changes the expected duration of your program you will need to request an extension of your CoE (Confirmation of Enrolment) from the University and may need to renew your student visa with DHA before it expires if an extension is required. Overseas students should be aware there are fee and visa implications for taking leave of absence (including but not limited to, late course withdrawal with penalty, visa extension and application fees, medical costs and so on). Overseas students must inform the University of any change of address within seven days otherwise you are in breach of your student visa conditions. Overseas students must submit:

    • Copy of passport (identification page)
    • Copy of visa
    • Copies of supporting evidence

    Incomplete applications and providing false/misleading information
    It is your responsibility to ensure you have provided all information required as part of an application for leave. Applications may be refused or delayed where insufficient information is provided or information requested is not received. The University may revoke an approved Leave of Absence should you provide any information that is false or misleading.

    University Regulations, Policies and Guidelines
    Your rights and responsibilities as a student of The University of Notre Dame Australia are outlined in the General Regulations, School and Program Regulations, University Policies and Guidelines which can be viewed at: www.notredame.edu.au. It is your responsibility to ensure you have read and understood what is required of you as a student of the University.

- Find your Program Code and Name
Are you an International student? *
Do you hold a scholarship? *
Please specify
Period of Leave requested I intend to start my leave:
I intend to return to study:

Note: You will be required to re-enrol in courses when you return after leave and may require an appointment with your Program Coordinator to discuss your study plans. Overseas students will require an Intervention Strategy when they return from leave. If you have studied in Summer Term or Winter Term, you cannot take a Leave of Absence for the upcoming Semester.

Course enrolment *

It is your responsibility to withdraw from all courses for the period of leave you wish to take by logging into the Student Centre.


The information provided in this form will only be used for the administrative or educational purposes of the University, or in accordance with your specific consent. The University will not disclose your personal information to a third party unless required to or permitted by law or where you have consented to the disclosure. Information relating to how the University collects, uses or discloses your personal information and how you may complain about the University’s handling of your personal information is contained in the University’s Privacy Policy.
You have a right to access your personal information that the University holds about you and to seek its correction. If you wish to access your personal information or inquire about the handling of your personal information, please contact the relevant Campus Registrar via email: fremantle.registrar@nd.edu.au (for Broome / Fremantle Students), or sydney.registrar@nd.edu.au (for Sydney Students)