Bachelor of Science
Human and Medical Science stream
This Stream is ideal for anyone with a passion for understanding the science of the human body and an interest in working in the health industry. Through this Stream you will build on the strong foundation in Science from the core Science courses to gain expertise in anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, pathology and neuroscience.
This Stream provides a unique balance of theory, practice and interdisciplinary perspectives to ensure your study of human science takes a holistic approach, and you develop sort-after skills in problem-solving, innovation, analysis and communication.
The flexibility in the Bachelor of Science degree allows you to explore your interests and pursue many career possibilities:
- You can diversify your career opportunities by combining this Stream with courses in complementary disciplines such as Behavioural Science, Preventive Health, Journalism or Social Justice to form a six-course Minor.
- Or deepen your knowledge and experience through more courses in Human & Medical Science.
Bachelor of Science (Human & Medical Science) structure
Complete the THREE (3) Core Curriculum courses
Complete the EIGHT (8) required core Science Courses
PLUS SEVEN (7) courses for the Human & Medical Science Stream:
- BIOL1250 Molecular and Cell Biology
- HLTH1000 Human Structure and Function
- HLTH1030 Anatomy and Physiology of Body Systems
- HLTH2210 Biochemistry
- HLTH2300 Microbiology
- HLTH3200 Pathology
- HLTH3450 Neuroscience
PLUS SIX (6) Elective Courses
These courses may be used to form a Minor.
Graduates of this Stream have the opportunity of employment across private and government sectors and not-for-profit organisations, including graduate positions as science technicians, educators, medical representatives and research officers. The Human and Medical Science Stream provides excellent entry opportunities into research, medicine and other health professions through postgraduate study.