Graduate Diploma of Forensic Nursing
School of Nursing & Midwifery, Fremantle Campus
Forensic medicine is a highly specialised area requiring a detailed understanding of the law as well as patient care. This unique program, which can be completed in two years of part-time study, introduces Registered Nurses to the complex issues facing health professional working in the area of forensic nursing.
Why study this degree?
Forensic nurses are in high demand thanks to the growing importance of forensic medicine around the globe. Using a combination of tutorial presentations, case studies, written assignments, research projects and journals, our specially-designed graduate diploma will equip you to work with patients whose healthcare issues intersect with the law.
Our two-year program covers topics such as Medico-Legal Issues, Professional Role Development and Ethics for Professional Life. Much of the tuition is available online, but in two of the semesters you will be required to attend a three to five day intensive workshop at the University’s Fremantle Campus.
At the completion of the program, you will be trained to respond in an effective and appropriate manner to a range of challenging medical situations.
- NURS5002 Introduction to Forensic Nursing
- NURS5007 Forensic Nursing Populations (Nursing)
- NURS5008 Linking Forensic Nursing Principles to Practice: Care of the Forensic Patient (Nursing)
- NURS5009 Medico-Legal Issues for the Forensic Nurse (Nursing)
- NURS4024 Contemporary Mental Health Practice
- NURS4025 Interpersonal Communication
- NURS5006 Professional Role Development
- PHIL6020 Ethics for Professional Life
Master of Nursing (Forensic Nursing)
Students choose a research area relevant to their specialty of nursing practice.
Full details of the program requirements are contained in the Program Regulations.
The following entry requirements apply to this program:
- Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
- Nursing or other appropriate degree or the equivalent
- Minimum of one year relevant post registration nursing experience
Fees and Costs
This Program has the following loan scheme(s) available for eligible students:
The FEE-HELP loan scheme assists eligible fee-paying students with the payment of all, or part, of their tuition fees, not including additional study costs such as accommodation or textbooks. Your FEE-HELP debt will be indexed each year in line with the Consumer Price Index. Please note, from 1 January 2019, students studying an undergraduate program at the University of Notre Dame will no longer be charged the 25% FEE-HELP loan fee.
For further information, or for indicative fees for domestic or international students, please visit our Fees page.
For more information on the Graduate Diploma of Forensic Nursing, please call our Prospective
Students Office on +61 8 9433 0533 or email email@example.com.