Dr. Tracy Llanera
Email: tracy email@example.com
Tracy Llanera is Research Fellow at the Institute for Ethics and Society at the University of Notre Dame, Australia. She works at the intersection of ethics, philosophy of religion, social and political philosophy, and pragmatism, specializing on the topics of nihilism, conversion, and the politics of language. She is author of Richard Rorty: Outgrowing Modern Nihilism (Palgrave Macmillan, 2020) and co-author of A Defence of Nihilism (Routledge, 2021).
Tracy is also affiliated with the University of Connecticut as Assistant Research Professor at the Department of Philosophy and research faculty at the UConn Asian and Asian American Studies Institute (2018-2021). She was a Visiting Research Fellow at the School of Politics, Philosophy, International Relations and Environment at Keele University, United Kingdom (Spring 2018) and a Research Fellow at the University of Connecticut Humanities Institute (Humility & Conviction in Public Life), United States last Fall 2017. Tracy has taught graduate and undergraduate courses at the University of Connecticut (United States), Macquarie University (Australia), and the University of Santo Tomas (Philippines).
Tracy's Ph.D. in Philosophy was awarded by Macquarie University in 2016.
Philosophy of Religion, Social and Political Philosophy, Ethics & Moral Philosophy, Pragmatism, Social Epistemology, Philosophy and Literature
Research expertise and supervision
- Group egotism
- Extremism and Conversion
- Politics of Language
Richard Rorty: Outgrowing Modern Nihilism (Palgrave Macmillan, 2020).
A Defence of Nihilism, co-authored with James Tartaglia (Routledge, 2021).
- “A Culture of Egotism: Rorty and Higher Education” (w/ Nicholas H. Smith), The Shadow Side of the University: Philosophical Readings of Contemporary Higher Education, ed. Áine Mahon. Springer. Forthcoming.
- “Nihilism”, A Companion to Richard Rorty, ed. Alan Malachowski (Wiley-Blackwell, 2020), 482-489.
- “Art of Living: Irony and Redemption from Egotism”, Handbuch Richard Rorty [A Companion to Richard Rorty], ed. Martin Müller (Springer VS, 2019).
- “Of Private Selves and Public Morals: Philosophy and Literature in Modernity”, Worldmaking: Literature, Language, Culture [FILLM 5]. Ed. Tom Clark, Emily Finlay and Philippa Kelly (Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins, 2017), 77-86.
- “On Pragmatism, Religion, and Liberalism”, Thomism and Asian Cultures: Celebrating 400 Years of Dialogue Across Civilizations (Manila: UST Publishing House, 2012), 492-497.
Journal Articles and Proceedings
- “Disavowing Hate: Group Egotism from Westboro to the Klan”, Journal of Philosophical Research 44 (2019), 13-31.
- “‘The Law of the Land has God’s Anointing’—Rorty on Religion, Language, and Politics”, special issue on Rorty and American Politics, Pragmatism Today 10.1 (2019) 46-61.
- “Pragmatist Transcendence in Rorty’s Metaphilosophy”, co-authored with Nicholas H. Smith; special issue on Richard Rorty, Analyse & Kritik 41.1 (2019), 97-116.
- “The Brown Babe’s Burden”, Hypatia 34.2 (2019), 374-383.
- “Richard Rorty and the Concept of Redemption”, International Journal for Philosophy of Religion 82.2 (2017), 103-118. Lead article.
- “Ethnocentrism: Lessons from Richard Rorty and Randy David”, Special issue on Imagined Democracies, Philippine Sociological Review 65 (2017), 133-149.
- "The Deep Personal Resonance of Nihilism”, Special issue on Nihilism and the Meaning of Life, Journal of Philosophy of Life 7.1 (2017), 81-91.
- “Rethinking Nihilism: Rorty vs. Taylor, Dreyfus, Kelly”, Philosophy and Social Criticism 42.9 (2016), 937-950. DOI:10.1177/0191453716645151 - Shortlisted for the 2017 Annette Baier Prize, Australasian Association of Philosophy
- “Redeeming Rorty’s Private-Public Distinction”, Contemporary Pragmatism 13.3 (2016), 319-340.
- “Morality by Words: Murdoch, Nussbaum, Rorty”, Budhi: A Journal of Ideas and Culture 18.1 (2014), 1-17. Lead article.
- “Shattering Tradition: Rorty on Edification and Hermeneutics”, Kritike 5.1 (2011), 108-116.
- “Alive Beyond Death! Ricoeur and the Immortalizing Narrative of the Self”, Philosophical Frontiers 5.1 (2010), 37-42.
- “The Copernican Revolution in Pragmatism? Dewey on Philosophy and Science”, Kritike 3.2 (2009), 56-67.
- “Pragmatism, Language Games, and the Philippine Drug War”, Standards of Decision-Making Across Cultures (SDAC) Guest Lecture Series, Friedrich-Alexander Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (Nov 2020)
- “In/Visible Brown Babes” (synthesis), Brown Babe’s Burden 2020, Filipino Women Doing Philosophy (Oct 2020)
- “Pragmatist Transcendence in Rorty’s Metaphilosophy” (Response: Martin Müller), Philosophy, Poetry, and Utopian Politics: The Relevance of Richard Rorty, Cambridge University, UK (Sep 2019)
- “Moral Progress? Synopsis and Open Issues”, Philosophy, Poetry, and Utopian Politics: The Relevance of Richard Rorty, Cambridge University, UK (Sep 2019)
- “Pernicious Truths: Pragmatism and Language Games”, Truth versus the Rhetoric of Truth: Authority, Realism, and Power, University of Oslo, Norway (Jun 2019)
- “Rorty, Transcendence and Metaphilosophy”, Richard Rorty Society Panel, 2019 American Philosophical Association Meeting, Vancouver, B.C., Canada (Apr 2019)
- “Pragmatism and Language Games”, Language and Power Workshop, University of Connecticut Humanities Institute (Apr 2019)
- “Duterte’s Resilient Charisma”, Roundtable: Rising Messiah and Fallen Heroes – Authoritarianism in Southeast Asia, Association for Asian Studies Conference, Denver, Colorado, U.S. (Mar 2019)
- “‘The Law of the Land has God’s Anointing’—Rorty on Religion, Language, and Politics”, UConn Political Theory Workshop (Apr 2019) and University of New South Wales Philosophy Seminar, Australia (Dec 2018)
- “The Brown Babe’s Burden”, The Platonic Society - Women in Philosophy Seminar, Macquarie University, Australia (May 2018)
- “Radical Conversion”, Royal Institute of Philosophy Lecture, Keele University, United Kingdom (Feb 2018)
- “Rorty and Bernstein: Egotism and Irony”, Wittgenstein Workshop, The New School for Social Research, New York, United States (Nov 2017)
- “Egotism from Westboro to the Klan”, New York Society of Women in Philosophy / SWIPShop, CUNY Graduate Center, United States (Nov 2017)
- “Redemption in a Secular Age”, Institute for Ethics and Society Seminar, University of Notre Dame, Australia (Aug 2015)
- “Of Private Selves and Public Morals: Philosophy and Literature in Modernity”, Research Seminar - University of Santo Tomas, Philippines (Jul 2013)
- “Morality by Words: Murdoch, Nussbaum, Rorty”, Philosophy Research Seminar - De La Salle University, Philippines (Dec 2012)
Conference and Workshop Presentations
- “Pragmatism, Language Games, and the Philippine Drug War”, 47th Annual Meeting of the Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy; Theme: Inter-American Philosophy, Hacienda Santa Clara (HSC), a Texas A&M University signature partner, City of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (Mar 2020)
- “Disavowing Hate: Group Egotism from Westboro to the Klan”, 2nd Richard Rorty Society Meeting on Rorty’s Ethics, Penn State University, US (Nov 2019)
- “Pernicious Truths: Pragmatism and Language Games”, Macquarie University Work in Progress Seminar (Aug 2019)
- “Inclusive Pedagogies”, Climate Committee: Heather Battaly, Alexus McLeod, Teresa Allen, and Phillip Baron, Philosophy Brown Bag, University of Connecticut (Apr 2019)
- “‘The Law of the Land has God’s Anointing’—Rorty on Religion, Language, and Politics”, UCHI Social Epistemology Workshop – SEWing Circle (Nov 2018)
- “Salvaging Language, Salvaging Politics”, Philosophy Brown Bag, University of Connecticut (Oct 2018)
- “Egotism from Westboro to the Klan”, MQ University, Work-in-Progress Seminar (April 2018) and Philosophy Brown Bag, University of Connecticut (Oct 2017)
- “Egotism in Public Discourse”, UCHI Social Epistemology Workshop - SEWing Circle (Dec 2017)
- “Two Cases of Egotism”, UCHI Research Fellows Roundtable (Sep 2017) and UCHI Fellow Talk, United States (Nov 2017)
- “Polytheism from Nietzsche to Rorty”, Philosophy of Religion Workshop, University of Notre Dame, Australia (Apr 2017)
- “The Cultural Problem of Nihilism”, Religion & Society Interdisciplinary Workshop, MQ University, Australia (Feb 2017)
- “Redemption and Nihilism: Rorty vs. Taylor, Dreyfus, and Kelly”, Richard Rorty Society Inaugural Meeting, Hamilton College, United States (Sep 2016)
- “Self-creation and Solidarity as Strategies for Self-enlargement”, Australasian Society for Continental Philosophy Conference, University of New South Wales, Australia (Dec 2015)
- “Redemption in a Secular Age”, Conférence Mondiale des Institutions Universitaires Catholiques de Philosophie Conference, Australian Catholic University, Australia (Jul 2015)
- “Rethinking the Relationship between Egotism and Nihilism”, Australasian Association of Philosophy Conference, MQ University, Australia (Jul 2015); Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy - Summer Institute, UC Dublin, Ireland (Jun 2015); “The Reaches of Pragmatism” and MQ University, Research Seminar, Australia (Jun 2015)
- “Rorty and Redemption”, Australasian Society for Continental Philosophy Conference, University of Western Sydney, Australia (Dec 2013)
- “Of Private Selves and Public Morals: Philosophy and Literature in Modernity”, Australasian Universities, Languages & Literature Association Congress, University of Queensland, Australia (Jul 2013); “Worldmaking”
- “Morality by Words: Murdoch, Nussbaum, Rorty”, Australasian Society for Continental Philosophy Conference, University of Auckland, New Zealand (Dec 2012)
- “On the Immanent Counter-Enlightenment”, Biennial Conference in Philosophy, Religion and Culture, Catholic Institute of Sydney, Australia (Oct 2012); “The Expressible and the Inexpressible” and MQ University Research Seminar, Australia (Sep 2012)
- “On Pragmatism, Religion, and Liberalism”, The Quadricentennial International Philosophy Congress, University of Santo Tomas, Philippines (May 2011); “Thomism and Asian Cultures”
- “Shattering Tradition: Rorty on Edification and Hermeneutics”, Philosophical Association of the Philippines Conference, Miriam College, Philippines (Apr 2011)
- “The Rortyan Imagination and the Ricoeurean Narrative”, The Grace of Space: Tribute Lectures in Honor of Prof Leovino Ma. Garcia, Ateneo de Manila University, Philippines (Jan 2011)
- “Mysticism: Epistemologized and De-Politicized Through Pragmatism”, Mysticism Without Bounds Conference, Christ University, Bangalore, India (Jan 2011)
- “Breaking the Mirrored Man: Rorty and Pragmatism”, Philosophical Association of the Philippines Conference (Apr 2010)
In the Media
- “You Might Need Some Richard Rorty” (The 2nd Richard Rorty Society Meeting), radio documentary by Tom Holland, Ideas – CBC Radio (Toronto, Canada), Dec 2019. https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/people-are-turning-to-this-late-american-philosopher-in-troubled-times-1.5387197
- “Richard Rorty and Metaphilosophy” (with Nicholas Smith), The Philosopher’s Zone – ABC Radio National (Sydney, Australia), Sep 2019. https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/richard-rorty-and-transcendence/11546590
- “Devotion, democracy, and Duterte”, The Philosopher’s Zone – ABC Radio National (Sydney, Australia), Feb 2019. https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/devotion,-democracy-and-duterte/10762992
- "Nihilism and Modernity”, Radical Philosophy – 3CR Community Radio (Melbourne, Australia), Apr 2016. https://www.3cr.org.au/radicalphilosophy/episode-201604071530/dr-tracy-llanera-speaks-about-nihilism
- “In/Visible Brown Babes” (synthesis), Brown Babe’s Burden 2020, Filipino Women Doing Philosophy (Oct 2020). American Philosophical Association - Black Issues in Philosophy. Forthcoming.
- Revisiting the Brown Babe’s Burden”, American Philosophical Association - Black Issues in Philosophy. Nov 2019. https://blog.apaonline.org/2019/11/12/revisiting-the-brown-babes-burden/
- “The Sinners and Victims of Duterte’s Drug War”, New Naratif. Oct 2019. https://newnaratif.com/research/the-sinners-and-victims-of-dutertes-war-on-drugs/share/cwguhz/9b72e638ad349bcfd1a8369294e6f5e5/
- “Seeking Shelter in a Terrifying Father Figure”, Print, Nov 2016; “Echoes of Trump: A Terrifying Father Figure in the Philippines”. Online, Oct 2016. The Indypendent, Issue 218 (New York). https://indypendent.org/2016/10/echoes-of-trump-a-terrifying-father-figure-in-the-philippines/
- “Unholy War on Drugs brings Cardboard Justice to the Philippines”, The Indypendent (New York) Oct 2016. https://indypendent.org/2016/10/unholy-war-on-drugs-brings-cardboard-justice-to-the-philippines/
- Teaching Excellence Award, Office of the Provost, Student Evaluation of Teaching for Philosophy and Social Ethics Honors (Fall 2019), University of Connecticut
- Shortlist (2017) - Annette Baier Prize, Australasian Association of Philosophy, annual monetary prize for an outstanding philosophical paper or book chapter published by an Australasian woman in the previous year
- National Teaching Excellence Award Nomination (2016), Open Universities Australia
- Postgraduate Award (2015), Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy and University College Dublin School of Philosophy; Ireland - Summer Institute on “The Reaches of Pragmatism”
- Postgraduate Award (2013), The Japan Foundation and the Australasian Universities, Languages & Literature Association; University of Queensland
- Postgraduate Award (2011), Katholische Universität Eichstätt-Ingolstadt, Germany; “Human Rights and Natural Law: An Intercultural Perspective”