Research Fellow, Nulungu Institute
Kate has lived and worked across the Kimberley since 1992. She has an MA in Anthropology from the University of Sydney and extensive experience in community-based engagement and research. She is particularly interested Aboriginal community development and organisational change.
Starting out as a research assistant with the Kimberley Land Council, Kate has gone on to work with many other Kimberley organisations and communities across the fields of history, native title, cultural heritage protection, sustainable development, conservation and land management and tropical river research. She was a Research Assistant Professor at the University of WA between 2007-11, has been on many research teams at the Nulungu Research Institute, and has worked in a variety of capacities for the Commonwealth Department of Environment and the Indigenous Land Corporation and non-government organisations including Pew Charitable Trusts and Anglicare.
Research expertise and supervision
Community research and engagement
Journal Articles and Proceedings
- 2019 Marshall, M., L.A. Wallis, K. Golson 2019 Marnda Gardairri: Facilitation of an Indigenous Ranger Rock Art Workshop. Nulungu Insights 3. Broome: Nulungu Research Institute.
- 2013 Sue Jackson (CSIRO), Kate Golson, Michael Douglas (Charles Darwin University) and Joe Morrison (NAILSMA) Indigenous engagement in the Tropical Rivers and Coastal Knowledge program: A review of policies, strategies and research activities. June 2013
- 2005 ‘Indigenous People’s Participation in the Roundtable’ Proceedings of the Roundtable on Culturally and Environmentally Appropriate Economies, 11–13 October 2005, Kimberley Land Council, Australian Conservation Foundation and Environs Kimberley, Fitzroy Crossing.
- 2019 Kathryn Thorburn, Kate Golson. Mel Marshall. Kimberley Aboriginal Law and Culture Centre Culture Camps Project Final Evaluation Report. Nulungu Research Institute, The University of Notre Dame Australia
- 2018 Kimberley Law and Culture Centre. Kimberley Aboriginal Caring for Culture Consultation Report
- 2016 K Golson and S Kinnane Evaluation of Broome Circle's Management of Financial Support Programs
- 2015 Men's Outreach Service. Evaluation Report for the Prison Health Program, broome.
- 2012 Kate Golson. Literature Review to Inform Suicide Planning in the Halls Creek Area, 28 March – 7 May 2012
- 2011 Golson, K., Kinnane, S., Farringdon, F., Henderson-Yates, L., and Parker, H. (2011) Halls Creek Alcohol Restriction Report: An evaluation of the effects of alcohol restrictions relating to measurable health and social outcomes, community perceptions and behaviours after 24 months.
- Kinnane, S., Golson, K., Henderson-Yates, L., Melbourne, J., (2010). Halls Creek Alcohol Restriction Report: An evaluation of the effects of a restriction on take-away alcohol relating to measurable health and social outcomes, community perceptions and behaviours after a 12 month period
- 2009 The One Mile Concept Plan Project Report August 2009