Important Information for Applicants
Always download a fresh application form. Do not save a blank form to use later as the forms are regularly reviewed and updated. Out of date and hand-written forms are not accepted by the Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC).
- Step 1: Read the relevant University Policies and Guidelines, the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research, the NHMRC Keeping Research on Track II advice and the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research.
- Step 2: Complete the Low Risk Review Checklist to see what level of clearance is required for your research.
- Step 3: Complete either the Low Risk or Full Review Application Form and have it signed by all researchers involved in the project.
- Step 4: Submit your ethics application (including all necessary attachments) to your School Research Committee for review.
Once the School Research Committee has reviewed your ethics application it will be forwarded to the HREC for further assessment at the next committee meeting (HREC Meeting dates). You will be informed of the HREC's decision as soon as possible after the meeting.
If unsure about anything please obtain advice from the Research Ethics Officer.
When your project has received HREC approval the following conditions apply:
- Ethics approval for projects is valid for 3 years.
- Under the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research, researchers are required to report on each project's progress on an annual basis by completing an Annual Report form. If your research has not commenced yet or has been abandoned please indicate this on the form.
- As a researcher you are required to immediately report to the Research Ethics Officer anything which might warrant review of ethical approval of the project, including unforeseen events that might affect continued ethical acceptability or any complaints made by participants regarding the conduct of the project.
- If the design of the study, the choice of instrument, or its manner of administration is altered in any significant way as the study progresses, you are required to submit an Amendment Form in regards to the proposed changes for ethical clearance by the HREC.