Important Information for Applicants
- Step 1: Read the Human Research Ethics Policies and Procedures
- Step 2: Complete the Low Risk Review Checklist to determine the level of review required for your research.
- Step 3: Complete either the Low Risk, Full Review, or Cross-Institutional application form.
- Step 4: Submit your ethics application (including all necessary attachments) to your School Research Committee (SRC) for review.
Once the School Research Committee has approved your ethics application, it will be forwarded to the Research Ethics Officer (REO) for HREC review. You will receive a confirmation email from the REO.
- Always download a fresh application form. Do not save a blank form to use later as the forms are regularly reviewed and updated.
- Out of date and hand-written forms will not be accepted by the Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC).
- Full completion of each question of this application form. Provide descriptive responses to questions beginning with How, Describe, Outline, Explain and Provide details.
- All necessary attachments where indicated, including Participant Information Sheet, Consent Form, Data collection tools, external approval letters etc. Templates can be found at ethics application forms.
- Approval by the School Research Committee (SRC). Applications without SRC approval will not be considered.
Refer to the following documents for important information:
- UNDA HREC meetings and deadlines
- Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research (2018)
- National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research (2007, updated 2018)
- Ethical Conduct in Research with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples & Communities (2018)
- Other important National guidelines and useful Information
If unsure about anything please obtain advice from the Research Ethics Officer.
Important to Note:
When your project has received HREC approval the following conditions apply:
- Ethics approval for research projects is valid for 3 years.
- Researchers are required to report on each project's progress on an annual basis by completing an Annual Report form. If your research has not commenced yet or has been abandoned please indicate this on the form.
- As a researcher you are required to immediately report to the Research Ethics Officer anything which might warrant review of ethical approval of the project, including unforeseen events that might affect continued ethical acceptability or any complaints made by participants regarding the conduct of the project.
- If you seek to change anything in the project from what was originally approved by HREC, you are required to submit an Amendment Form to HREC explaining what the changes are and why they are necessary. You cannot implement these changes until the amendment has been approved by HREC.