Tuition Assurance

What is Tuition Assurance?
Tuition Assurance arrangements protect students who are Australian citizens or holders of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa in the event that a Program of study in which a student is enrolled ceases to be provided by the University after it starts, but before it is completed.

How does it relate to Notre Dame?
The University of Notre Dame Australia, under the provisions of the Higher Education Support Act 2003 and the VET Student Loans Act 2016, is required to provide tuition assurance arrangements.  

What if I’m an International Student?
If you are an international student requiring a student visa to study in Australia, the Tuition Protection Service (TPS) provisions of the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Framework assists international students where the University may not be able to full deliver a Program, ensuring that students can either complete their studies in another Program or with another educational institution; or receive a refund of their unspent tuition fees.  Further information is available in the University’s Policy: Refunds for International Students or at

What happens if a Program of study in which I’m enrolled ceases to be offered?
The University is committed to ensuring that all students are protected in the unlikely event that a Program ceases to be offered by the University.  The University will ensure that in such instances, students are notified that the Program is no longer being delivered as soon as practicable and will give them information about Tuition Assurance arrangements or Tuition Protection Services.

Students enrolled in any Program that ceases to be offered will be entitled to:

(a) a full refund of any fees already paid for any course that the student commences but is not able to complete because the University ceases to offer the course or courses; or
(b) an offer of a place in a similar Program of study within the University where available, and that is acceptable to the Student; or
(c) an offer of a place in a suitable similar Program of study with an alternative registered Higher Education Provider, without any requirement to pay fees to the other Provider for any replacement course(s) that may be required in order to complete the Program.  

What if I’ve got a VSL or HELP loan from the Government?
If the University ceases to offer a Program, we will report the incident to the Commonwealth Department of Education, Skills and Employment and affected Students may apply for a re-credit of their VET Student Loan (VSL) or HELP balance.