Advanced standing, also known as credit transfer, is credit granted towards a degree program for study already undertaken. By giving recognition to prior learning, advanced standing prevents the unnecessary duplication of study and can save time and money.
The availability of advanced standing does not guarantee entry into a particular course. In some cases there are high levels of competition for places and in other cases applicants may need to have fulfilled other requirements to gain entry. Detailed information on regulations governing the awarding of Advanced Standing may be accessed from the University's General Regulations.
Application for advanced standing
Based on the information contained on the University website and/or discussions with a Course Adviser, you may be eligible for advanced standing. If so, you should follow the instructions below:
- Make application for entry to the course of your choice at Notre Dame. You should read carefully the Admissions Guide and submit your Application for Admission by the required deadline.
- Once you have been notified that you have been granted an Admissions interview, you can request an Application for Advance Standing Form from Student Administration. There are two forms available depending on your situation:
- Application for Advanced Standing: for the transfer of units from one incomplete course to the course you are applying for either for particular units, or general credit
- Application for Advanced Standing - Recognition of Prior Learning Uncredentialed Experience: for advanced standing based on work experience or uncredentialed learning
- Fill in your personal details and information regarding your previous studies on the Application for Advanced Standing form and take it with you to your admissions interview. You may discuss the possibility of advanced standing with the interviewer, though no confirmation may be provided until all documentation is complete.
- If you receive an offer of a place in your course of choice, you should accept your offer and submit your Application for Advanced Standing to your School for assessment. With your application, if you are applying on the basis of prior learning, you must include an original or certified copy of the transcript of your results. You must also attach the outline of the units of study you completed previously, including assessment and teaching structure to allow an assessment of relevance and comparability to be made. Unit outlines are available from universities' handbooks and/or websites. If you are applying on the basis of uncredentialed experience, you must provide an official letter from the employer/institution which provided you with the experience, confirming your employment or participation.
- Please allow 4-6 weeks for your application to be processed and finalised. This timeframe may be extended at times depending on the volume of applications.
For further information, please contact the Student Administration Office on (02) 8204 4418 or at Sydney.Studentadmin@nd.edu.au