Graduate Diploma of Health Professional Education
School of Medicine, Fremantle Campus
Education has always been at the core of what it means to practise in the health sciences. Health professionals accept that, as part of their role, they will be involved in educating new generations of health professionals. This flexible postgraduate program is facilitated entirely online for health professionals who perform an educational function or who are transitioning to an educational role in a clinical tertiary or academic setting.
Why study this degree?
As a health educator, you probably recognise that although health educators have extensive knowledge and skills in the area of their professional discipline, the art and science of passing knowledge from one generation to the next is often overlooked in the context of demanding clinical, teaching, and/or research responsibilities.
The truth is that many health professionals have no formal training in educational theory. Furthermore, busy schedules leave little time for improving your own educational knowledge and skills by attending scheduled courses or workshops. For this reason, the Graduate Diploma of Health Professional Education offers knowledge and skills in a flexible and contextualised manner to health professionals who are also tertiary educators.
The Graduate Diploma of Health Professional Education provides a pathway for health professionals interested in developing their knowledge and skills in education, with the ultimate aim of becoming exemplary educators and educational role models. Over the course of your studies, you gain a sound knowledge of contemporary learning theory, as well as a wide repertoire of educational skills that are specifically aimed at best practice in contemporary health education contexts.
Program summary - suggested pathway
- Applying Theory to Learning and Teaching in Health Professional Education
- Contemporary Issues in Health Professional Education
- Best Practice in Clinical Supervision in Health Professional Education
- Teaching Clinical Reasoning
- Ethical Issues in Professional Life
- Assessing Competence in Health Professional Education
- Designing Curriculum for Effective Learning
- Principles and Practice of Assessment and Evaluation
More information about the courses can be found at the course descriptions page.
Full details of the program requirements are contained in the Program Regulations.
- A Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in a health professional field
- Active involvement in health professional education
More information can be found at the Fees page.