Professor Patrick Sullivan
Senior Research Fellow
Phone: 9433 0128
Patrick Sullivan is a political anthropologist whose work for Aboriginal organisations since the early 1980s has involved practical research and advice on issues of land use and distribution, community control of community development, and governance institutions at the local and regional levels. For two separate periods he was the Senior Anthropologist for the Kimberley Land Council, formulating anthropological and policy advice on local, national and international projects, as well as native title cases. From 2002 to 2012 he was a Research Fellow, and Senior Research Fellow, in Indigenous Regional Organisation, Governance and Public Policy at the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies. He concentrated his research on public policy approaches to Indigenous affairs. He is the author of numerous scholarly articles and practical reports, and the book Belonging Together: Dealing with the Politics of Disenchantment in Australian Indigenous Policy (Aboriginal Studies Press, Canberra 2011). He is currently an Adjunct Professor at the National Centre for Indigenous Studies (ANU), and Professor at Nulungu Research Institute, University of Notre Dame Australia, Broome. He leads the ARC-funded project Reciprocal Accountability and Public Value in Aboriginal Organisations.
- 1996 All Free Man Now: Culture, Community and Politics in the Kimberley Region North Western Australia, Aboriginal Studies Press, Canberra.
- 2011 Belonging Together: Dealing with the Politics of Disenchantment in Australian Indigenous Policy, Aboriginal Studies Press, Canberra.
- 1985 ‘A Critical Appraisal of Historians of Malaya - the Theory of Society Implicit in their Work’ in Higgott, R. and R. Robson (eds) Southeast Asia: Essays in the Political Economy of Structural Change, Routledge and Kegan Paul, London, pp.65-92.
- 1994 ‘A Regional Agreement in the Kimberley’ in Proof and Management of Native Title, Native Titles Research Unit, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Canberra.
- 1995 ‘Problems of Mediation in the National Native Title Tribunal’ in Fingleton, J. and J. Finlayson (eds) Anthropology in the Native Title Era, Native Titles Research Unit, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Canberra.
- 1996 ‘All Things to All People: ATSIC and Australia’s International Obligation to Uphold Indigenous Self-Determination’ in Sullivan, P. (ed) Shooting the Banker - essays on ATSIC and self-determination, North Australia Research Unit, Australian National University, Darwin.
- 1997 ‘Dealing With Native Title Conflicts by Recognising Aboriginal Authority Systems’ in Finlayson J. & D. Smith, (eds) Fighting Over Country: anthropological perspectives, Research Monograph no:12, Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, Australian National University, Canberra.
- 1999 ‘Claims, Regions Agreements - the Kimberley’ Edmunds, M. (ed) Regional Agreements: Key Issues in Australia Volume II Case Studies, Native Title Research Unit, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Canberra.
- 2006 Sustainable Employment in the Hybrid Economies of Dispersed Aboriginal Settlements, in Sue Hayes (ed) Final Report on Kimberley Region Consultations, Proceedings of a Workshop, Australian Conservation Foundation.
- 2007 and Oliver, K. ‘Governance Indigenous and non-Indigenous as a Social Determinant of Aboriginal Health’, in Ian Anderson, Fran Baum and Michael Bentley (eds) Beyond Bandaids: Exploring the Social Determinants of Aboriginal Health, Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal Health, Darwin, 2007:181-190.
- 2012 Indigenous Governance: The Harvard Project, Australian Aboriginal Organizations and Cultural Subsidiarity, in Prasad, A. (ed) Against the Grain: Advances in Postcolonial Organization Studies, Copenhagen Business School Press, Copenhagen.
- 2012 and Boxer, H. Bujiman, W. and Moor D. The Kalpurtu Water Cycle: Bringing Life to the Desert of the South West Kimberley in Weir, J (ed) Culture, Native Title and Ecology, ANU E Press, Canberra.
- 2013 The Ord River Stage 2 Agreement and Miriuwung Gajerrong Native Title Corporations, in Bauman, T., Strelein, L., and Weir, J. (eds) Living With Native Title: the Experiences of Registered Native Title Corporations, Native Title Research Unit, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Canberra: 181-208.
- 2018 The Tyranny of Neoliberal Public Management and the Challenge for Aboriginal Organisations, in Howard-Wagner, D., Bargh, M., and Altamirano-Jiminez, I, (eds) The Neoliberal State, Recognition and Indigenous Rights, CAEPR Monograph No 40, Australian National University Press, Canberra.
Journal articles and proceedings
- 1982 Social Relations of Dependence in a Malay State: 19th Century Perak, Malaysian Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, Monograph No: 10, Kuala Lumpur.
- 1996 Shooting the Banker - essays on ATSIC and self-determination, North Australia Research Unit, Australian National University, Darwin.
- 1996 ‘From Land Rights to the Rights of the People’ Aboriginal Law Bulletin, 3 (85).
- 2006 and Bauman, T. (eds) Delimiting Cultures: Conceptual and Spatial Boundaries, The Australian Journal of Anthropology Special Issue 18, v17 (3).
- 2016 Thorpe, A., Arabena, K., Sullivan, P., Silburn, K., & Rowley, K., 2016, Engaging First Peoples: A Review of Government Engagement Methods for Developing Health Policy, The Lowitja Institute, Melbourne.
- 1986 'The Generation of Cultural Trauma: What Are Anthropologists For ?' Australian Aboriginal Studies, Journal of the Institute of Aboriginal Studies), 1:13-23.
- 1996 'From Land Rights to the Rights of the People' Aboriginal Law Bulletin, 3 (85).
- 1997 'From Land Rights to Political Rights: hunter-gatherer politics and the contemporary Australian state' Tsantsa, Journal of the Swiss Society of Ethnology, pp. 9-27.
- 1998 'Orang Asli et Malais: equite et titre aborigene en Malaysia' Recherches Amerindiennes au Quebec, 28 (1):59-69 (translated by Isabelle Schulte-Tenckhof).
- 1998 'Saltwater, Freshwater and Yawuru Social Organisation' in Peterson, N. and B. Rigsby, (eds) Customary Marine Tenure, Oceania Monograph 48, University of Sydney, Sydney, pp. 96-108.
- 2005 Toussaint, S., Sullivan, P., Yu, S. 'Water Ways in Aboriginal Australia: an Interconnected Analysis', Anthropological Forum, March 2005.
- 2005 'In Search of the Intercultural, In Search of the Culture' in Hinkson, M. and B. Smith (eds) Figuring the Intercultural in Aboriginal Australia, Oceania 75 (3):183-194.
- 2006 'Introduction: Culture Without Cultures – the Culture Effect' in Sullivan, P. and Bauman, T. (eds) Delimiting Cultures: Conceptual and Spatial Boundaries, The Australian Journal of Anthropology Special Issue 18, v17 (3):253-264.
- 2007 'Strange Bedfellows:Whole-of-Government and Shared Responsibility Agreements, the Implications for Regional Governance', Ngiya: Talk the Law, Journal of the Jumbunna Indigenous House of Learning, University of Technology Sydney, 1:53-71.
- 2008 'Bureaucratic Process as Morris Dance: an Ethnographic Approach to the Culture of Bureaucracy in Australian Aboriginal Affairs Administration', Critical Perspectives on International Business, 4 (2/3):127-141.
- 2009 'Reciprocal Accountability: Assessing the Accountability Environment in Australian Aboriginal Affairs Policy', International Journal of Public Sector Management, 22 (1):57-71 [Emerald Publishing Group Outstanding Paper Award 2010]
- 2009 'L`avenir des services publics aborigènes australiens au-delà de l`assimilation ou de l`autodétermination' Télescope 15(3):75-97 (Ecole National d'Administration Publique, Quebec).
- 2009 Dwyer, J., O'Donnell, K., Lavoie, J., Marlina, U., Sullivan, P. The Overburden Report: Contracting for Indigenous Health Services, Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal Health, Darwin.
- 2012 'The Personality of Public Documents: Normalising Aboriginal Risk', Journal of Organisational Ethnography 1 (1):52-61.
- 2013 'Disenchantment, Normalisation and Public Value: Taking the Long View in Australian Indigenous Affairs', The Asia Pacific Journal of Anthropology 14 (4):353-369.
- 1988 Aboriginal Community Representative Organisations: Intermediate Cultural Processes in the Kimberley Region, West Australia, East Kimberley Impact Assessment Project, Working Paper No:20, Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies, Australian National University, Canberra.
- 1994 'Exclusion under S26(3) and (4) of the Native Title Act from the Right to Negotiate', Land, Rights, Law: Issues of Native Title, Issues Paper No:6, Native Title Research Unit, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Canberra.
- 1995 Beyond Native Title: Multiple Land Use Agreements and Aboriginal Governance in the Kimberley, Discussion Paper no:89, Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, Australian National University, Canberra.
- 1997 A Sacred Land, A Sovereign People, an Aboriginal Corporation - Prescribed Bodies and the Native Title Act, Report Series No: 3, North Australia Research Unit, Australian National University, Darwin.
- 1997 'Regional Agreements in Australia: an overview paper' Land, Rights, Law: Issues of Native Title, Issues Paper No:17, Native Title Research Unit, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Canberra
- 2005 Strange bedfellows: Whole-of-government Policy and Shared Responsibility Agreements - Implications for Regional Governance, Indigenous Community Governance Project Working Paper, Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, Australian National University, www.anu.edu.au/caepr/governance.php.
- 2006 Indigenous Governance: the Harvard Project on Native American Economic Development and Appropriate Principles of Governance for Aboriginal Australia, Research Programme Discussion Paper No:17, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Canberra.
- 2008 Dodson, Goodwin, Sullivan, Veth, Weinman, Scoping a National Representative Body, Discussion Paper, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Unit, Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission, Sydney.
- 2009 Policy Change and the Indigenous Land Corporation, AIATSIS Research Programme Discussion Paper 25, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Canberra.
- 2010 Government Processes and the Effective Delivery of Services: the Ngaanyatjarra Council and its Regional Partnership Agreement, Working Paper 71, Desert Knowledge Cooperative Research Centre, Alice Springs.
- 2010 The Aboriginal Community Sector and the Effective Delivery of Services: Acknowledging the Role of Indigenous Sector Organisations, Working Paper 73, Desert Knowledge Cooperative Research Centre, Alice Springs.
- 2011 The Policy Goal of Normalisation, the National Indigenous Reform Agreement and Indigenous National Partnership Agreements, Working Paper 76, Desert Knowledge Cooperative Research Centre, Alice Springs.
- 2015 A Reciprocal Relationship: Accountability for Public Value in the Aboriginal Community Sector, The Lowitja Institute, Melbourne.
- 2000 'Reinventing Post-Colonial Conflicts: The Identification of Regional Aboriginal Land Groups for Holding Native Title' Australian Anthropological Society Annual Conference, Public Policy Session, Perth September 21-23.
- 2002 'Don't Educate the Judge: Court Experts and Court Expertise in the Social Disciplines', AIATSIS Native Title Conference, Geraldton, September 3rd – 5th.
- 2002 'Tropes of Intersection' Australian Anthropological Society Annual Conference, Canberra, October 3rd-5th.
- 2003 'Following a Native Title Determination – Tracks in the Landscape of Community Governance', AIATSIS Native Title Conference, Alice Springs, June 3rd – 5th.
- 2003 'Culture Without Cultures' Australian Anthropological Society Annual Conference, Sydney, October 1st – 3rd.
- 2004 'Culture and Conflict' New Directions in the Humanities Conference, Prato, Italy, July 20th – 23rd.
- 2004 'Minority Rights Scepticism and Co-integrationist Approaches to Space Sharing,' AIATSIS Biennial conference Sharing the Space, Canberra November 22nd – 25th.
- 2004 'Traditional Ownership and Communal Rights in Cultural Heritage – the Marginalisation of Alternate Traditions', AIATSIS Biennial conference Sharing the Space, Canberra November 22nd – 25th.
- 2005 'Indigenising Post-Colonial Governance: The Harvard Project on Native American Economic Development and its Relevance to Aboriginal Political Life in Australia'. International Critical Management Studies (CMS4) Conference, post-colonial stream, July 2005, University of Cambridge, UK
- 2006 Softwares of Modernity: Accountability and the Culture of Bureaucracy in Australian Aboriginal Affairs Administration, Current Developments in Ethnographic Research in the Social and Management Sciences, University of Liverpool, September 13th & 14th.
- 2007 Towards Continual Reciprocal Accountability: Assessing the Accountability Environment in Australian Aboriginal Affairs Administration, 5th International Critical Management Studies Conference (post-colonial stream), Manchester, July 11th – 13th.
- 2007 The Inconsistent State: Managerialism and its Consequences for Engagement with Australian Indigenous Peoples, plenary panel Transforming States, Australian Anthropological Society Annual Conference, Canberra October 30th.
- 2007 Changing Roles and Prospects for Aboriginal Community Sector Organisations, paper in the Public Policy Stream, AIATSIS Conference Forty Years On: Political transformation and Sustainability Since the Referendum and into the Future, Canberra November 7th.
- 2008 'Politics and Policy: Visions of Indigenous Progress in the Howard Years' inaugural paper in the AIATSIS seminar series Indigenous Public Policy; Responses From the Ground.
- 2008 'Bureaucratic Process as Morris Dance: an Ethnographic Approach to the Culture of Bureaucracy in Australian Aboriginal Affairs Administration', The Value of Ethnography in Social and Management Science Teaching and Research, University of Liverpool Management School September 3rd to 5th.
- 2008 'Saltwater, Freshwater and the Birth of a Nation', Ownership and Appropriation, joint annual conference of the ASA(UK), ASAANZ and AAS, University of Auckland, December 8th to 12th.
- 2009 'Beyond Black and White – a Framework for Overcoming Strategic Threats in Remote Australia', 6th International Critical Management Studies Conference, University of Warwick (UK), July 13th – 15th.
- 2009 'Anthropology and Organisation Studies', Keynote Address, 4th Annual Ethnography Symposium, University of Liverpool School of Management (UK), August 24th – 25th.
- 2009 'Who Are You Calling Half-Caste? Aspects of Classification, Performance and Identity in Northern Towns', AIATSIS Biennial Conference Perspectives on Urban Life: Connections and Reconnections, Canberra Sept 29th – Oct 1st.
- 2010 'COAG, Normalisation, Land Tenure and the National Partnership Agreement on Remote Indigenous Housing', conference paper, People Place Power: the Native Title Conference, Canberra June 1st to 3rd.
- 2010 'Wrong Way Go Back: a New Approach to Normalisation in Aboriginal Affairs Policy', paper presented at the National Indigenous Policy and Dialogue Conference, University of NSW, November 18th and 19th .
- 2011 'Third Sector Aboriginal Organisations in Australia and the New Wave of Normalisation', paper delivered to stream 'Shaping the Spaces Between State and Market: Critical Perspectives on the 'Third Sector', 7th International Critical Management Studies Conference, Naples, Italy, July 11th to 13th
- 2013 'Belonging Together Across the Divide' Annual Reconciliation Week presentation to the Canberra diplomatic corps, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Canberra May 29th.
- 2017 Conference stream (13 international papers) ‘Mending the splintering of the soul: new management for new publics in settler-colonial, post-colonial, and post-industrial organisations’, 10th International Critical Management Studies Conference, Liverpool (UK), 3rd – 5th July.
- 2017 ‘Stealthy Totalitarianism: Challenging the Creeping Bureaucratization of Social and Cultural Diversity’, 10th International Critical Management Studies Conference, Liverpool (UK), 3rd – 5th July.
Fellow of the Australian Anthropological Society
In the media
- "Aboriginal policy initiatives are ‘for whites’: academic" The Australian September 24th 2015
- "Farewell to the Spirit of 1967" Inside Story June 19th 2016
Emerald Publishing Group Outstanding Paper Award 2010 International Journal of Public Sector Management.
OtherConsultancies and Commissioned Reports
- 1988 (with Nicholas Green), Aboriginal Development Commission, Murchison/Gascoyne Land Needs Study.
- 1989 Aboriginal Lands Trust, Perth, WA. Investigation of Aboriginal Interest in Proposed Conservation Reserves in the Kimberley W.A.
- 1989 Aboriginal Development Commission/Kimberley Land Council, Aboriginal Pastoral Land Needs in the East Kimberley, W.A.
- 1989 Aboriginal Development Commission, Traditional Affiliation, History and Social Circumstances of Yawuru People, Broome, W.A.
- 1991 Kimberley Land Council, Traditional Attachment to Land, Carranya and Lamboo Stations, East Kimberley, W.A.
- 1992 Aboriginal Development Commission/Kimberley Land Council, Traditional Attachment to Land, Napier Downs and Tablelands Pastoral Stations, West Kimberley, W.A.
- 1994 Kimberley Land Council, A Report on the Particular Significance in Aboriginal Tradition of the Area Proposed for Development of a Crocodile Farm, Broome, Submitted To The Hon. Fred Chaney Pursuant To An Investigation Under Section 10 (3) Of The Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander Heritage Protection Act 1984
- 1995 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission, Traditional Attachment to Go Go Station, West Kimberley, WA.
- 1996 Kimberley Land Council, The Case for Aboriginal Native Title in the Broome Region
- 1996 Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Review of the Aboriginal Councils and Associations Act 1976 The Cultural Appropriateness of Incorporation under the ACAA in Situations of Land Conflict - five case studies.
- 1996 ATSIC Native Title Branch The Needs of Registered Native Title Bodies and Prescribed Bodies Corporate under the NT Act 1993 and the ACA Act 1976.
- 1997 Kimberley Land Council The Traditional Attachment of Kija People to Six Pastoral Stations in the East Kimberley - the properties of the E.G. Green Group.
- 1997 Kimberley Land Council Changing the Constitution of Australia for Aboriginal People – a community discussion paper.
- 1998 (with Barbara Glouciewski) Kimberley Land Council The Connection of Kija People to Land in the East Kimberley, National Native Title Tribunal mediation report.
- 1999 Kimberley Land Council Traditional Attachment to the Land of Waterbank Pastoral Station Federal Court Mediation Report
- 1999 Kimberley Land Council Traditional Attachment of the Yawuru, Djugun and Goolarabooloo People to the Land of the Rubibi Native Title Claims Federal Court Mediation Report
- 2000 Kimberley Land Council A Supplementary Report on the Particular Religious Significance of Kunin for Aboriginal People of the Broome Region Expert Report to the Federal Court.
- 2000 Centre for Anthropological Research, UWA/Water and Rivers Commission, WA The Cultural and Symbolic Significance of Water Sources - A Report of Fieldwork with Members of Yakanarra and Djugerari Communities.
- 2001 Kimberley Land Council/Environment Australia Waterbank Indigenous Protected Area Ethnographic and Community Consultation Report.
- 2001 Corrs, Chambers, Wesgarth and assoc., Review of the Aboriginal Councils and Associations Act, contribution for Anthropos Consulting.
- 2001 Indigenous Land Corporation/Kimberley Land Council, Kimberley Sub-Regional Overview of Land Needs and Kimberley Land Acquisition and Access Strategies, two volume report.
- 2002 West Australian Aboriginal Native Title Working Group, Principles for Co-existent Use of Pastoral Leasehold Land.
- 2004 Murray Darling Basin Commission, Indigenous Action Research Project, Governance and Informed Consent Processes for Indigenous Nations in the Murray Darling Basin.
- 2007 AUSAID Pacific Land Programme and the National Centre for Indigenous Studies, ANU. The Yawoorroong Miriuwung Gajerrong Yirrgeb Noong Darwung Association, Customary Land Tenure Case Study.
- 2007 Core Project 5 Desert Services that Work, Desert Knowledge Cooperative Research Centre. Servicing Desert Communities in the Ngaanyatjarra Cultural Region.
- 2008 AIATSIS Council. Policy Change and the Indigenous Land Corporation.
- 2008 Options for a National Representative Body, Part Three of Dodson, Goodwin, Sullivan, Veth, Weinman, Scoping a National Representative Body, Discussion Paper, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Unit, Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission, Sydney.
- 2011 FaHCSIA/DEEWR/Centrelink/NgaanyatjarraCouncil Ngaanyatjarra Council Employees Related Services Project.
- 2012 North Australia Land and Sea Management Alliance (NAILSMA) Supporting Indigenous Livelihoods: Appropriate Scales of Governance.
- 2013 (with Prof. Michael Dodson) National Congress of Australia's First Peoples, Stage One – High Level Agreement With Government, Previous Structures and Agreements.
- 2015 (with Stephen Kinnane), Nulungu Research Institute, An Evaluation of the Kimberley Aboriginal Law and Culture Centre (KALACC) Cultural Governance Programme 2013 – 2015: Repatriation of Sacred Objects to Ardyaloon (One Arm Point) Community.
- 2015 ANU Enterprise/Endeavour Resources, Respondent’s Expert Report Lake Torrens Overlap Proceedings SAD 90/2009, native title report.
- 2017 ANU Enterprise/Nyamba Buru Yawuru Corp, Expert Report, Nyamba Buru Yawuru Ltd v Shire of Broome, State Administrative Tribunal of Western Australia Proceedings DR 240/15, DR 12/17 & DR 13/17.
- 2017 - 2019 ANU Enterprise/ Solicitor for the Northern Territory, Expert Anthropological Assessment of the Connection Report for Native Title Determination Applications Over the Town of Pine Creek – NTD 6015 of 1999, NTD 6019 of 1999, NTD 6020 of 2002.