Christine Robinson (nee McGunnigle)
BA (Ed) B.Ed (Primary) Grad Cert (Special needs) MREd (UNDA) MEd Hons (Early Childhood)(UWA) PhD (UNDA)
Early Childhood Degree Coordinator: Undergraduate and Postgraduate
Phone: 9433 0178
Christine Robinson is the coordinator of the early childhood programs including the Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood & Care: 0-8 years), the Graduate Certificate in Early Childhood and the Master of Education (Early Childhood). Christine taught within the Catholic Education system where she has held the positions of classroom teacher in the early childhood and primary years as well as Assistant Principal Religious Education.
Christine holds a PhD in young children's spirituality, a Master’s of Education in early childhood from the University of Western Australia and a Masters of Education in religious education from the University of Notre Dame. She specialises in teaching within early childhood and religious education across the undergraduate and post graduate degrees.
Christine is currently working on a number of projects, including an international project, G.R.A.C.E (Global Research Advancing Catholic Education) which brings together the University of Notre Name, Mary Immaculate College in Limerick and Boston College to create a community of practice around issues in Catholic Education. In addition, Christine is a member of the Notre Dame RELATE team that seeks to address the demise of play in early childhood settings by actively researching in the area and providing professional development within the sectors.
Early Childhood Education
Research expertise and supervision
Quality in early childhood settings
The role of play in early childhood
Spiritual and religious development of young children
Doctor of Education: 2 students
Doctor of Philosophy: 2 students
Master of Philosophy: 2 students
Robinson, C., Treasure, T., O’Connor, D., Neylon, G., Harrison, C. & Wynne, S. (2018). Learning through play: creating a play-based approach within early childhood contexts. Australia: Oxford University Press. ISBN: 9780190304829
2012: Text Resources
Effective Teaching Strategies 6th Edition.
2014: Book Chapter
Teaching and Learning Strategies in the Early Years for the text, Growing in Wisdom by Grajczonek, J & Ryan, M.
- Robinson, C. & Hackett, C. (2019). Engagement in Religious Education: Focussing on Spiritual and Religious Capabilities. In M. T. Buchanan and A. M. Gellel Global Perspectives on Catholic Religious Education Volume II: Learning and Leading in a Pluralist World (Eds). Victoria: Springer
- Robinson, C. & Grajczonek, J. (2019). The dilemma of Catholic early years’ educators: Teaching religious education while remaining faithful to young children’s innate In M. T. Buchanan and A. M. Gellel (Eds). Global Perspectives on Catholic Religious Education Volume II: Learning and Leading in a Pluralist World (Eds) Victoria: Springer
- Harrison, C. & Robinson, C. (2017). Looking Deeper: Play and the spiritual dimension. In S. Lynch, D. Pyke and C. a beckett (Eds). Multidisciplinary Perspectives on Play from Birth and Beyond. Australia: Springer.
- McGunnigle, C. (2014). Teaching and Learning Strategies in the Early Years. In J. Grajczonek and M. Ryan (Eds). Growing in Wisdom. QLD: Lumin Press.
- McGunnigle, C. (2015). Early Childhood Lesson Plans (resources) in R. Killen, Effective Teaching Strategies, 7th Edition. VIC: Cengage
- McGunnigle, C. (2013). Teaching and Learning Strategies in the Early Years. In J. Grajczonek and M. Ryan (Eds). Growing in Wisdom. QLD: Lumin Press.
Journal articles and proceedings
- Law-Davis, S., Robinson, C., Fic, J. & Mola, R. (2019). Godly Play: Pre-service teachers’ perspectives on teaching scripture in primary Religious Education. E-Journal of Catholic Education in Australasia. https://researchonline.nd.edu.au/ecea/vol3/iss1/11.
- O’Connor, D., Robinson, C., Cranley, L., Johnson, G. & Robinson-Cook, A. (2019). Love in education: West Australian early childhood pre-service teachers’ perspectives on children’s right to be loved and its actualisation within their future practice. Early Child Development and Care. https://doi.org/10.1080/03004430.2019.1574778
- Robinson, C., O’Connor, D., Wildy, H., & Neylon, G. (2018). Contemporary perspectives of the child in action: An investigation into children’s connectedness with, and contribution to, the world around them. Education 3-13, 1-11. doi:10.1080/03004279.2018.1457704
- Cranley, L., Johnson, G., Robinson, C., & O'Connor, D. (2018). Belonging, being and becoming active citizens. Asia Pacific Journal of Advanced Business and Social Studies, 4 (1), 176-182.
- Robinson, C. (2017). Constructing quality childcare: Perspectives of quality and their connection to belonging, being and becoming. International Journal of Whole Schooling, 13(1), 50.
- McGunnigle, C. & Hackett, C. (2015). Spiritual and Religious Capabilities in Catholic Schools. eJournal of Catholic Education in Australasia. ISSN: 2204-2504.
- O’Connor, D., McGunnigle, C., Treasure. T. & Davie. S. (2015) Educator identities. Emerging issues within personal and professional identities; changes experienced by Australian pre-service teachers following professional exposure to educational practice within childcare settings. In Early Childhood Development and Care. Vol. 185, Issue 1, Routledge, Taylor and Francis. 0300-4430 (Print), 1476-8275 (Online) DOI 10.1080/03004430.2014.993626.
- O’Connor, D., McGunnigle, C., Treasure. T. & Davie. S. (2014) Teachers who care and carers who educate. Professional status issues and differences in pay and conditions are resulting in a tale of division within our Early Childhood Community. Iated: Valencia ISBN 978-84-616-0763-4
- O’Connor, D., McGunnigle, C., Treasure. T. & Davie. S. (2014) Shall we play us and them or all together now? Leadership opportunities for cohesiveness and unity within a fractured Western Australian Early Childhood Education Sector. Iated: Valencia ISBN 978-84-616-0763-4
- O'Connor, D. Robinson, C. McCormack, M., & O'Rourke, V. (2018). Playing outdoors: Implications for creative development. A contextualised discussion of the findings from the Irish neighbourhood play study. EDULEARN18 ISSN: 2340-1117. Doi10.21125/edulearn.2018.2123.
- O'Connor, D. Robinson, C. McCormack & M. O'Rourke, V. (2017) Boys and girls come out to play: Gender Differences in Children’s Play Patterns. EDULEARN17 PP 4713-4719. ISBN: 978-84-697-3777-4. ISSN: 2340-1117. doi: 10.21125/edulearn.2017.2042
- O'Connor, D., Robinson, C., McCormack, M. & O'Rourke, V. (2017). The influences of opportunity. Differences in children's play choices across diverse communities in Ireland
INTED17 pp. 6335-6341. ISBN: 978-84-617-8491-2. ISSN: 2340-1079
- O'Connor, D., Robinson, C., McCormack, M. & O'Rourke, V. (2017) Is it time for the risky classroom? Dealing with risk and uncertainty is a natural part of adult life. Yet modern children are shielded from risk at every opportunity. A pedagogical shift is requiredINTED17 pp. 6471-6477. ISBN: 978-84-617-8491-2. ISSN: 2340-1079doi: 10.21125/inted.2017.1490
- O'Connor, D. Robinson, C. McCormack & M. O'Rourke, V. (2017) The age of imagination: imagining play and invention: implications for creative development. EDULEARN17 PP: 4720-4727 ISBN: 978-84-697-3777-4. ISSN: 2340-1117. doi: 10.21125/edulearn.2017.2042
- O'Connor, D. Treasure, T. Robinson, C. McCormack, M. O'Rourke, V. (2017). Is play disappearing? Instances of no-play in children’s neighbourhoods: implications for learning, development and curriculum. ICERI2017 ISSN: 2340-1095 doi: 10.21125/iceri.2017.1323
- O'Connor, D. Treasure, T. Robinson, C. McCormack, M. O'Rourke, V. (2017). Child’s play the developmental benefits of the play choices of modern children: implications for school curricula. ICERI2017 ISSN: 2340-1095. doi: 10.21125/iceri.2017.1328
- O'Connor, D., McGunnigle, C., Davie, S., Waggoner, J., Treasure, T. & Cranley, L. (2016). Who am I in the eyes of the World? A comparative study of pre-service teachers’ perceptions of early childhood educators’ professional status in their community. Australian and American perspectives. ICERI: Seville.
- Wildy, H., Neylon, G., O’Connor, D. & McGunnigle, C. (2016). Juggling Philosophy, Policy and Practice: Tensions in Early Childhood Education and Care. European Educational Research Association, Conference paper Dublin. Available online: https://eera-ecer.de/ecer-programmes/conference/21/contribution/37451/
- O'Connor, D., Robinson, C., McCormack, M. & O'Rourke, V. (2016) Let's get real: are today's children playing with nature? Do the educational aspirations of the nature play movement emerge within children's neighbourhood play? EDULEARN16 pp. 3123-3129. ISBN: 978-84-608-8860-4. ISSN: 2340-1117. doi: 10.21125/edulearn.2016.1680
- O'Connor, D., Robinson, C., McCormack, M. & O'Rourke, V. (2016) Children's choices: the technology choices that children make within their free time. Influences and implications, EDULEARN16 Proceedings, pp. 3037-3042. ISBN: 978-84-608-8860-4. ISSN: 2340-1117. doi: 10.21125/edulearn.2016.1662
- O'Connor, D., McGunnigle, C., Wildy, H. & Neylon, G. (2015). Looking within to build strong foundations of personhood: The importance of early years’ teacher’s reflective practice in the formation of a positive sense of identity in the children they work with. EduLearn 15: Barcelona. ISBN: 978-84-606-8243-1. ISSN: 2340-1117.
- McGunnigle, C., O'Connor, D., Waggoner, J., Treasure, T., Cranley, L. & Davie, S. (2015). It’s okay, I’m a…teacher. Is professional status important to teachers? EduLearn 15: Barcelona. ISBN: 978-84-606-8243-1. ISSN: 2340-1117.
- Wildy, H., Neylon, G., O’Connor, D. & McGunnigle, C. (2015). A Rights-based Pedagogy in Early Childhood Education and Care in Australia: Applying a Standards Framework. ECER: Budapest.
- McGunnigle, C., & Neylon, G. (2014). What can 3 year old contexts tell us about the EYLF' and ‘Keeping the Play in Early Childhood. Literacy and Numeracy Conference, UNDA.
- McGunnigle, C. (2014). Home – Childcare – School Partnerships: Bridging the Gap. EarlyChildhood Australia Conference, Melbourne.
- McGunnigle, C. (2013). Arts Integration in Religious Education. Catholic Education Conference, University of Portland, Oregon.
OMEP Early Childhood WA Branch Committee Member
School of Education Teaching and Learning Committee Representative
Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) Assessment Panel
LEAD Awards for Excellence in Schools Panel
Advisory Group for the Review of Educational Practice in Kindy, Pre-Primary, Year 1
ECEC Training and Education Providers Committee
Beaconsfield Primary School Board
Professional Development for local Schools and Childcare Centres
2016 VC Award for Initiatives that Enhance Student Learning
2014 Dean’s Award for Excellence in Teaching
2013 UniJobs Lecturer of the Year Nomination
2011 Dean’s Award for Excellence in Teaching