Master of Education (Early Childhood)
School of Education, Fremantle Campus
The Master of Education (Early Childhood) provides an opportunity for educators with practical teaching experience to continue their professional development. In particular, you develop an in-depth knowledge and understanding of teaching in the early years, and engage with current theories and policies on working with young children.
Why study this degree?
Designed for primary and early childhood educators our Master of Education (Early Childhood) is a highly flexible and practical degree. Because we understand that our students often have demanding work/life commitments this program is available both on Campus and online. Several of the courses are taught during the school holiday periods or in semi-intensive modes over weekends.
The program consists of eight courses: two compulsory courses, one elective and five specialisation courses. The Master of Education (Early Childhood) is a highly stimulating degree and with the guidance of experienced teachers, you develop the ability to critically analyse, design and implement proactive approaches to early childhood education.
- One Theology or Ethics course
- One specialisation elective (to be chosen from Religious Education, Leadership and Management, Early Childhood Education, Special Learning Needs, Curriculum)
- Applied Research Methods in Education OR Action Research in Education
- Five specialisation courses in Early Childhood
- Holistic Development in Early Childhood
- Early Childhood Curriculum Development
- Trends in Early Childhood Development and Teaching
- Integration in Early Childhood Education
- Early Childhood Practicum Experience (two weeks with babies and toddlers aged 0-2 years within a childcare context and 10 weeks with children aged 3-5 years within a school or childcare context)*
Please note: Students who already hold an ECE qualification are not required to undertake the practicum. In its place, students complete the course entitled Education Children with Special Needs.
Full details of the program requirements are contained in the Program Regulations.
A student applying for the Master of Education (Early Childhood) must have all of the following:
- Hold the equivalent of a four year teaching qualification;
- A GPA of at least 2.5 or higher; and
- At least three years of full-time professional experience in primary or early childhood teaching.
More information can be found at the Fees page.
For more information on the Master of Education (Early Childhood), please call our Prospective Students Office on +61 8 9433 0533 or email email@example.com.