Graduate Diploma of Midwifery
School of Nursing & Midwifery
Are you a registered nurse with one year of experience and a desire to become a midwife? The University of Notre Dame Australia’s 18-month full-time postgraduate qualification will give you the confidence to embark on a career where woman-centred care is a priority. Our Graduate Diploma of Midwifery includes a significant proportion of practical hands-on experience and contemporary best practices in a variety of midwifery settings. Get in contact today to pursue this rewarding career.
Why study this degree?
If woman-centred care and delivering new life is your passion the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery is the qualification for you. This unique program follows the philosophy of ‘woman-centred’ midwifery practice and will enable you to develop a high level of critical thinking, technical competence, and interdisciplinary teamwork skills.
You will experience a variety of placements including public and private settings, from large teaching hospitals to small healthcare centres. This quality professional practice experience will give you the confidence and competence to adapt quickly to the midwifery workplace.
Your assessments are based on written assignments, tutorial presentations, case studies, various projects and examinations and professional practice assessments at the University and healthcare setting level.
On graduation, the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency will register you as a midwife with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.
- MIDW5000 Midwifery Foundations (25 CP)
- MIDW5022 Beginning Midwifery Practice (50 CP)
- MIDW5023 Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders Women & Communities (25 CP)
- MIDW5024 Midwifery Partnerships (25 CP)
- MIDW5025 Complex Midwifery Practice (50 CP)
- MIDW5026 Midwifery Clinical Reasoning (25 CP)
- MIDW5027 Advancing Midwifery Practice (50 CP)
More information about the courses can be found on the course descriptions page.
Full details of the program requirements are contained in the Program Requirements.
The following entry requirements apply to this program:
- A bachelor degree in nursing or the equivalent and registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
- Registered nurses who do not have a level 7 AQF qualification in nursing may be admitted with an alternative mode of entry assessment and recent clinical nursing experience.
Upon successful completion of the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery graduates will be able to:
- Meet the National Competency Standards for the Midwife and gain registration as a midwife with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
- Critically review emerging local, national, and global maternity care priorities, and apply midwifery evidence-based knowledge to provide holistic and woman centred care across the childbirth continuum, to pregnant and childbearing women and their families, with a focus of continually improving the quality and delivery of care
- Reflect on knowledge and belief to share practice and foster self-regulated behaviours to implement the concept of life-long learning, which will assist in the professional growth and development of self and others
- Practice as competent professionals and industry ready graduates who can critically appraise and problem solve in practical and creative ways enabling them to practice in diverse midwifery settings
- Integrate knowledge, humanistic values, clinical skills, and reflective thinking to an advanced level of critical analysis to provide safe, culturally congruent, equitable, high quality midwifery care for women, babies, families, and communities
- Demonstrate ethical responsibility by actively and continually participating in the development of the midwifery profession at the individual, national and global level; and
- Provide safe, culturally congruent, equitable and just midwifery care by practicing and promoting a culture of reflective and reflexive midwifery care to the individual woman, her supporters, and other members of the healthcare team.
You are required to complete Professional Practice placements (practicum) within the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery. The Professional Practice component of this Program equals 50% of the Program content.
Students will undertake the equivalent of 26 weeks full time midwifery practice experience over 18 months. This midwifery practice experience will be undertaken in regular blocks of 3 - 4 days per week. Students are expected to undertake one (1) rural placement (if located in the metropolitan area) or 1 metropolitan placement if located in a rural area.
In addition to the practicum placements, students are required to complete a minimum of ten (10) continuity-of-care experiences. These experiences may occur at any point across the 18-month Program.
In order to participate in Professional Practice placements and the continuity-of-care experiences, students must complete a health declaration. Students who have had an illness or injury may be required to provide a fitness-to-practice medical certificate from a medical doctor or allied health professional, eg. Physiotherapist.
The Graduate Diploma of Midwifery will enable you to register as a midwife with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.
You will learn from academics who are industry leaders and, through our practicum placements and internship programs, you will gain real professional experience and make valuable contacts with potential employers.
The Graduate Diploma of Midwifery is accredited by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council, and the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.
Fees and costs
This Program has the following loan scheme(s) available for eligible students:
The FEE-HELP loan scheme assists eligible fee-paying students with the payment of all, or part, of their tuition fees, not including additional study costs such as accommodation or textbooks. Your FEE-HELP debt will be indexed each year in line with the Consumer Price Index.
For indicative fees and information on how to pay, including Government loan schemes and our online calculator, visit our Fees Page.
Considering your uni options?
For more information, please contact our Prospective Students Office.
Fremantle and Broome
Phone: +61 8 9433 0533
Sydney and Melbourne
Phone: +61 2 8204 4404
All international enquiries should contact the International Students Office on firstname.lastname@example.org.