Master of Mathematics Education
School of Arts & Sciences, Sydney Campus
This program is designed to build capacity in research-led teaching and leadership in the field of mathematics. We aim to address the shortage of mathematics teachers by providing advanced content knowledge to graduates and equipping them with the confidence and skills to be leaders in the field.
Why study this degree?
Our Graduate Diploma and Master of Mathematics Education programs are designed to retrain accredited teachers from other disciplines in mathematics as a teaching area. Live online classes provide the opportunity to learn from lecturers and peers as role models of excellent teaching practice, network, ask questions and gain expert advice. The programs enable teachers to develop deep and flexible content knowledge in pure and applied tertiary-level mathematics. They also give teachers the opportunity to develop their mathematics pedagogy and enhance their capacity to engage their students to work mathematically to solve challenging, real-world problems across the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
For future head, highly accomplished or lead teachers of mathematics, the Master of Mathematics Education will build capacity for research, data-informed teaching and leadership. Qualified secondary mathematics teachers are in high demand across Australia. This program will improve your expertise and career prospects. It also fosters valuable transferable capabilities such as critical reasoning, problem-solving and ethical judgement and decision-making. The program has been designed around school terms to assist you to balance existing work, family and other commitments.
- Principles of Mathematics
- Linear Algebra
- Advanced Calculus
- Discrete Mathematics
- Teaching Methods in Mathematics
- 25 Units of Credit from one (1) Practicum Course or research project
- 25 Units of Credit from one (1) Core Curriculum Course
- Research Methods
- Research Project
- Educational Leadership
Full details of the program requirements are contained in the Program Regulations.
Please note: The availability of these courses is indicative only and may be subject to change.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s award (AQF level 7 qualification) or equivalent in Initial Teacher Education; or
- Possession of a Bachelor’s award (AQF level 7 qualification) and concurrent study in a Master of Teaching (AQF level 9 qualification)
More information can be found at the Fees page.
Completing this program will mean you have valuable skills that make you attractive to a wide range of employers and organisations. It is possible to gain employment in areas such as:
- Catholic primary and secondary schools
- Government departments, including the Department of Education
- Non-Government Organisations (NGOs)
- Community-based organisations
- Training & professional development
For more information on the Master of Mathematics Education, please contact the Prospective Students Office on +61 (2) 8204 4404 or email email@example.com.