A Project with and for Teachers of Religious Education in Australian Catholic Secondary Schools
The aims of this project are twofold:
- First, to create a place where teachers and prospective teachers can meet to share resources and teaching strategies for teaching Religious Education (RE).
- Second, to build a prayerful community in which RE teachers can find support for the oftentimes challenging task they undertake.
- To foster an environment that promotes excellence in RE teaching.
- To build up a database of RE resources and teaching strategies.
- To build up a community of RE educators from around Australia in order to foster collaboration between dioceses.
- To share resources and teaching strategies that meet the real needs of teachers in the classroom.
- To develop a shared understanding of the unique and irreplaceable role of the teacher in religious education as witness and instructor.
Meetings will be scheduled, during NSW Term time, fortnightly on ZOOM from 3:30-4:00pm. The structure will be as follows:
Introductory Prayer: 1-2 minutes
Presentation of a Resource: 10-15 minutes
- A resource that has been developed by a RE teacher will be presented.
- A summary sheet of the resource will be shared.
Feedback: 10 min
- Ideas are shared on how the resource or strategy can be used.
- Ideas for development or adaption of the resource/strategy can be shared.
- Points of the presentation can be clarified during this time.
Closing Prayer: 1-2 minutes
Date Topic February 10 Introduction to the Bible Timeline: Scripture and History February 24 Reading Scripture: The First Creation Narrative (Gen 1) March 10 Reading Scripture: The Second Creation Narrative (Gen 2-3) March 24 Prayer: Lectio Divina and Visio Divina (Principles and Procedures)
Who is this for?
- Secondary teachers
- Pre-service teachers
- RE Staff of diocesan offices
- Anyone involved in the formation of RE teachers
Sessions are completely free and will run from 3:30 - 4:00pm. Come for one session or become a regular! We look forward to seeing you there! Contact the UNDA School of Philosophy and Theology at REShare@nd.edu.au to register.